1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender on steroids? How about Sadowsky on steroids.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Mar 7, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

You know how we say a Sadowsky is like a Fender on steroids? This is like a Sadowsky on steroids.

The tone of the Sadowsky soapbar pickups in J bass location with a swamp ash body and maple board is insane! Fat as Oprah at a pie eating contest and just as super sweet. Incredibly corpulent. In fact, it sounds so good that lightening shot out my bottom when I slapped the first few notes.

Compared to my other Sadowsky J bass with nearly similar woods (except for a maple top) and Sadowsky hum cancelling J pups, this #4990 sounds fatter and punchier; prodigious low end. These pups really respond to the bass boost of the Sadowsky OBP. Just a blast to play and very inspiring.

The bass with the standard pups has more growl and is a bit clearer with more defined note separation to my ears.

In fact, I think one could think of Sadowsky pup offerings like this:

--fundamental & raw<-->rich harmonics and complexity
    --Nordie big singles<-->Sadowsky humcancelling<-->Sadowsky soapbar

In real life this bass looks black- dark purple...like a concord grape. I'm a slut for figured tops (on basses and women) but this just plays and sounds off the charts.

2. I never really viewed the Sadowsky models as 'J on steroids' really... more a unique take on a J sound... maybe a touch more modern with the humcancelling stock pickups.

I would think putting soapbars in place of J pickups would suck the J right out of the tone, but I guess that's not really such a bad thing if you are looking for a downsized J body with a more 'soapbar' type boutique tone. This is very similar to what I heard in the Nordy that I had for a short time with the Big Singles... a J bass-looking instrument that sounded like a modern, soapbar loaded instrument. Cool if that's what you want!

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yum, Jim. I was at the shop the day Lisa was assembling your bass. Loved the finish and the black hardware. Never had a chance to plug it in, though. Play it in good health

Rob

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    ouch.... :eek:

( sometimes it's best just to let em believe what they want to believe ) :bag:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry, but if there were such thing as a Sadowsky on steroids, it would be in the starting pitching rotation for the Yankees! :bag:

Sharp looking bass, though. Is it a trans black, or a very deep blue?

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    now THAT IS funny....:smug:

7. a Sadowsky on steroids = overkill?

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Sadowsky on steroids? Thats just redundant. :cool:

9. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    What's with the tape above the pickups? I don't get it. Unless you're using it as a thumbrest and the tape's there to protect the finish.

10. absolutely! :bag:

ps: its off topic but i saw this other thread where one is looking to buy a strap worth near 200$ and already does own about 10 other straps, nothing against the individual, but my damn bass is worth about 200$ in total and my amp less than 200$ and its taken me ages to afford this gear in this part of the world and i often baffle out on stuff like this how can one ,being a bass player .......a bass player! and not a over hyped rock star really.flush.$200.on.a.strap:bawl:

:bag::bag:

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    OUCH:crying:

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Maybe he sharpens his thumbnail to a fine honed edge...

Or is a vampire...

My luck, in trying to protect a bass like that it would either discolor around it, or under it.

:)

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Fendowsky? :) I got one of those.

I sure would like to hear this sadowsky though.
    not a big fan of the pushed back modern pickups.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats Dr. Jim ! :bassist:

15. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    What is up with that top?

16. I don't get the 'ouch' comments. Didn't mean it to be nasty at all:) I'm sure it's a killer bass that sounds great.

Sorry Jim... it must have come out sounding different than I intended.

17. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jim, congrats on the bass:hyper:. Now stop feeding the glutton!! just kidding.

18. I believe those are just protective coverings put on the bass prior to sale, and are meant to be removed by the owner when the 7 day trial period is over.

19. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Can you buy the Sadowsky soapbars by themselves? I only see the 5-string soapbars available on their website. Is it the same pickups for 5's and 4's?

Mike

20. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, it kind of comes off sounding smug or possibly as if you are raining on his parade. This is the internet, so we aren't supposed to read intentions and emotions into words. In any case, we all know that you are a Sadowsky advocate anyway.

It's all good. In any case, I think us Sadowsky owners can straddle the line on "nuts" sometimes.