1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Fender P-bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    $(KGrHqV,!jUFE13ZIwYCBSWhZK,S7Q~~48_20.
    classic white, new strings ....bass guitar, never learned how to play it so i just wanna sell it, text message prefered

Hilarious.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    F.Y.I.
    except for a slightly different spellin'

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I just threw up in my mouth.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sweet, you know it's the real deal because the devil is in the details....like those 24 frets, 2x2 headstock, lack of a pickguard, and that switch right below the jazz pickup in the bridge position.

That's cool and all but you should really check out my Rickenbacker 4003...only $1400!
    [​IMG]

:smug:

6. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    wow

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Calm down people. Here's what happened. This person is not trying to cheat anyone. He just doesn't know any better, and the name "Fender P-bass" in some circles is synonymous with "bass guitar".

Here are a couple of other examples. Channellock is a BRAND NAME, not a descriptive name. But all tongue and groove style pliers are called Channellocks.

Crescent is a BRAND name, not a descriptive name. But all adjustable wrenches are often called Crescent wrenches.

Skilsaw is a BRAND name. But all circular saws are called as "skill saw".

Lots of (particularly older) people call any kind of "flat computer" with no keyboard an iPad, no matter who makes it.

Xerox is a BRAND name, but most copiers are still to this day called "Xerox machines".

Lots of electricians I have worked with over the years will say "Hand me my Fluke meter" when their multi-tester is not a Fluke brand.

All moving trucks are called "U-haul trucks".

All small toy cars are called "Matchbox cars" no matter who makes them.

See what is happening here?

Now, we as bass players who know every stupid little detail about every stupid little bass that was ever made find the possibility of this being used in the bass world to be utterly ridiculous. But there are some people think an electric bass is a "Fender bass". They just don't know any better.

You won't be able to convince me that someone is so ridiculous as to try and pass this bass off as a Fender while knowing good and well it isn't. I just don't buy it. I think the guy is just not a bass player and he doesn't know any better.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No one said he's trying to cheat anyone. Whether ignorant or dishonest, he's wrong. That's what's funny about this.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Meh. I think the guy is just ignorant. It would be funny if I thought he actually WAS trying to get away with something. But just because someone doesn't know as much as me about a subject I am passionate about, I don't see the humor. Oh well. Carry on.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Agreed, calm down, nobody is accusing him of scamming people. He never learned to play, so why would he learn what things are called? I know bassists who don't know what a P bass or a J bass are :eek:

I did enjoy the list though, I had no idea about crescent wrenches and channel locks; you missed Kleenex, Q-Tips, and Zamboni too. In regards to the electricians using Fluke meters... I have never seen a journeyman electrician not use a Fluke meter... I am sure there are others but the only ones I have seen that are not Fluke are Radio Shack grade.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

He's also selling a 125cc motor, still in the box. Do you suppose it is a Fender 125cc motor? A 125cc Precision motor might be a pretty good thing if you put it somewhere that has Fenders. The sky is the limit for what you could do with it if it is a 125cc Fender Precision motor. If it is a Gibson motor, then forget it!

12. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    At least he did not list it as a saxophone.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah I see what youre going for but its not the same. Sorry. Nice try though. Very passionate. A for effort and all that jazz.

14. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    How could you guys NOT mention Jello?!?!

15. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    We called em Hot Wheels not Matchbox cars BTW.

16. At least it has a p and a j pickup.

17. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I actually prefer that style of bass to a real Fender P bass. :bag:

Nothing against Fenders just my personal preference(yes I know I'm wrong you don't have to tell me :D )

18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what the current usage is in Australia, where the ad is from, but I don't think anyone has used "Fender bass" as a synonym for "bass guitar" since the 70s or so, let alone "P-bass." Nah, I think he knows that title is going to get more looks than whatever brand it is and did it on purpose.

19. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Dont forget rollerblades-inline skates.

20. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I prefer the Fender 500cc motor - higher output, better growl. ;)