1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Performer series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Parsons, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Paula Warren likes this.
  2. It's cool to have a new American Special alternative, but I wish they went with a different model name than Performer. The new line of instruments is affecting my Reverb subscribed search, of which the intention is Fender's 1985-1987 line of Performers manufactured in Japan.

squeakyd and Duder like this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

They don’t look anything like a fender Performer

MonetBass likes this.
  4. Lesfunk

upload_2018-12-3_15-45-47.

JB Lars, squeakyd, mikewalker and 6 others like this.
  5. I know what the previous Fender Performer looked like. The new instruments are flooding my timeline now.

6. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Not sure that was ever the idea. Just a naming convention.

But I did think the American Specials were a well made and well priced range so I imagine these will be a popular range.

I’d imagine these have little incremental upgrades that might make a difference as was the case from the standard to pro series.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like the Mustang. I thought it was odd how they had a precision pickup in the Mexican Mustang PJ instead of the standard Mustang pickup along with the jazz.

sneha1965 and macmanlou like this.
  8. Has anybody been clamoring for a revival of the Greasebucket circuit?

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They were going to call it the USAffordable line, but...

10. KansasCityBassDude

KansasCityBassDude

May 31, 2015
    Meh, not impressed. Other manufacturers seem to be coming out with better basses at lower costs nowadays. With the million of used instruments that are floating around and still in great shape there's little reason to buy one new at that cost.

If Fender is going to save itself it has to reach kids where they are today. Selling overpriced instruments that only professionals buy isn't the way to do it.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The Satin Surf green jazz are cool looking bass!!!

But the Performers P only come with Sunburst, placid blue, white and new Penny colour option. The sunburst and placid blue just like Squier VM PJ , and the white performers P pretty like Squier Affinity PJ if you dint look at Fender logo at headstock.

And, no enough information on Yosemite pickup. Ceramic , Alnico or Neo ?

Plus, wrong information on bridge, string through ??? But I only found a bent bridge with Am Pro bridge saddles.

Grease bucket again???? I believe add a bass boost knob are more usable.

My2cents

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Benny4P likes this.
  12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not clamoring, but I had a few American specials with the grease bucket and didn't have any problem with them like it seems so many people have. They all sounded fine.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    upload_2018-12-4_14-13-46.

JB Lars, 123Nil and BassGeekJack like this.
  14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Only black pick guards other than for one color on the Mustang Bass??? No thanks. Black just doesn't go with everything.

15. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't see graphite support rods noted in the description in these necks, but has a heel access. Anyone know if these will have graphite support rods?

16. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I've noticed the new naming conventions put the emphasis on the customer, rather than the bass - American Deluxe is now the Elite, American Standard is now the Professional, the Standard is now the Player, and the American Special is now the Performer.

That doesn't follow for the American Vintage Reissues, which are now the American Originals, but that name does position them versus the Classics, neither of which is classic or original of course, but there's a similarity between the two names, as there is a similarity between Player, Performer, Professional, and Elite.

Some people seem to get all bent out of shape when Fender introduces a name change, they're always disappointed because there's no nitro, no sea foam green, there's a J pickup on a P bass, no 7.25" radius, they cost too much (yet again) or there's no five string option. There are those who complain because Fender never does anything new or different, and those who complain when they do something new. It's kinda draining, as it happens multiple times every year.

We haven't had a copper P bass before, to my knowledge - not my thing, but that's pretty cool. We also haven't had a Lake Placid Blue American P bass outside the Vintage Reissue line to my recollection. It's got a J pickup, great! There's a Jazz in sea foam green, awesome! Enough griping, already, if you don't like it, who do you think cares?

TWolf, Bikeguy57 and Sean Parsons like this.
  17. Lesfunk

I wasn’t implying any ignorance on your part.
    My comment was only a bit facetious

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. Raitis Neitals

Raitis Neitals

Apr 30, 2018
    Do you think there will be 5 string versions as well?

19. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What if you're not an elite, a professional, a player or a performer? Where's the Fender Poser series?

squeakyd, JimHouchin, Mark76 and 6 others like this.
  20. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    Poser series has been shelved as the marketing team preferred Fender Fanboy which has a nicer ring to it. ;)

Joking aside, it is surprising to read some of the comments. I had no idea that so many judged guitars on things like pick guard colours and names not to mention hatred of the continuous development of classic guitars. Very odd reception.

I never tried one of the American Special basses but did own the Telecaster which was great and very hard to beat at that price.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Performer Precision when I come across one in the shops.

Hands and ears are still the best way to judge.

BillMason likes this.