Fender Player Series bass has the wrong pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThingsAbove, Apr 29, 2019.

1. So I was curious why my new Fender Ocean Turquoise Player Series bass that is advertised to have Alnico 5 pickups was only measuring 5,000 ohms DC resistance.

I decided to measure the pickups directly and when I pulled them out found that they are appear to be Ceramic magnets, not AlNiCo 5. I put my serial number in Fender's instrument registration and it does come up as a Player series bass...
    FENDER.png

So why does it come with the older model pickups...
    IMG_20190429_171600.jpg

I've emailed Fender customer support but my expectations are quite low.

EDIT: For the sake of those starting on this thread let me add some information that came in later from a online chat with Fender support...

View attachment 3402262

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    petrus61, Pbassmanca and Professor J like this.
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I didn't look underneath, but my son's LE OT has those same silver pickup poles. I knew that wasn't alnico.

petrus61 and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. Well then it's false advertising...
    advertisement.png

AlexanderB, petrus61, Da_Niet and 7 others like this.
  4. davesultra

davesultra

Mar 12, 2019
    Most likely liquidating old/obsolete parts. I’d heard that some of those P-Basses had the old leftover Standard series necks.

5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Tommy V and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  6. CryingBass

CryingBass Just a Fool Whose Intentions are Good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    String up Leo!

Either a crap job at specs writing, or outright fraud. Class action I say!

AlexanderB, Spidey2112 and dralionux like this.
  7. Fender emailed me back and said I would need to send it to a certified service center for evaluation.
    So I just returned it to GC for a full refund. Not my problem anymore.

8. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    Guitar center had both a "Standard" for $499, and a "Players" $599 series bass online at the same time not long ago and they were identical, tort, maple fretboard, limited edition "ocean turquoise" finish.

I think Fender is doing some shady things with this specific bass. If the pickups are wrong, and the serial number checks out, that is false advertising.

Cycleops, AlexanderB, B-Mac and 11 others like this.
  9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I have a 2017 MIM P Bass.
    The pups are the weak spot so I put Dimarzios in and what a huge difference. I think the Performer bass is identical sans Fender Logo. I really dig mine after the pup upgrade.

Aiden1382, Axstar and tindrum like this.
  10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Did it sound good?

11. I couldn't get the tone control to respond like I expected. I couldn't get the mids to be even half as present as my Jazz with the neck pickup soloed. I like furry mids.

I tried different strings and that helped some but I never could get anything but a scooped, "modern" tone out of it to my ears, both direct and through my Markbass.

I figured I could throw pickups and new controls at it but after I found out it was mis-advertised that was the final nudge to return it .

On the plus side, it did have a very nice neck and balanced beautifully, but that would be the same for any MIM P-bass.

12. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It sure appears as if Fender just threw in some older, much lower quality, cheaper made pickups that they needed to get rid of. If that’s the case it’s despicable and they probably figure that the average Joe wouldn’t notice (which most probably won’t). That’s some shady crap, especially for the price point of the Player Series. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... I love Fenders, but Fender not so much.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You did the right thing there. Why send it probably at your own expense and have this "evaluation" process drag on when you don't need to?
    Sounds like they're using up their old stock pickups-makes you wonder how many of such basses they've sold with this and the customers aren't aware of it yet.

14. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I am Endorsed by BrownAmps.com
    It’s a Fender.

Nuff said.

DWBass, gebass6, bdplaid and 4 others like this.
  15. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I've noticed errors on Fender's website before. Oh well, some companies have great websites... and some don't.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Yep, I agree and I returned mine too. The thing that bothers me most is these cost $200 more than the old Standard version but it has the same pickups?

AlexanderB and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Yeah, that’s not very good business. Mistakes happen, but this is obviously not an isolated case. Who is putting crap pickups in these basses? Is it one bad employee?.. bad management? Someone in the factory is making the decision to not put the correct, advertised (and touted) Alnico 5 in there.

18. 2F/2F

2F/2F Supporting Member

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the same thing as getting warranty work done. How else were they supposed to address the problem for you?

Hounddog409, Frankie Fender and mdogs like this.
  19. I’m sure someone has said this already, but they have those exact basses as MIM Standards and Player Series. My MIM Standard came with the F stamped neck plate and the Alnico 5 pickups in it but has the MIM Standard Fender logo on the headstock.

It seems like the turquoise P’s are a hodgepodge of Standard and Player Series parts. Either way, I’m happy with mine. It’s light and now has a set of cream Model P’s in it.

Pbassmanca, SJan3 and murphy like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Possibly another “exclusive edition” made just for GC? Fender has done “special” runs for GC in the past.

Pbassmanca and Templar like this.