Fender Precision Blacktop... pros and cons in comparison to Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidrf, Sep 26, 2017.

1. davidrf

davidrf

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi there, I was looking around some online shops to find a good Fender Precision Standard to buy when I stumbled on this here 2011 Fender Precision Blacktop

5100310_1488480483.jpg

in the exact color scheme I would like (arctic white with black pickguard). I never heard of this "Blacktop" model before, so I'd like some advices. Naturally, I noticed it has two pickups... but what are the other differences? Would it be a good purchase considering that this Blacktop USED costs almost as a new Standard? Thanks a lot!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  3. davidrf

davidrf

Aug 8, 2011
  4. davidrf

davidrf

Aug 8, 2011
    Anyone?

5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I had a Fender Modern Player Jazz with those pickups in, and I must admit that I really wasn't that impressed with it.

To be fair, even though I'd owned a few J's previously, I just didn't get on with this one, as it replaced a 4003 that had been my only bass for a good number of years. The pickups didn't quite deliver that punchy sound that was promised in the reviews that I'd seen.

The Blacktop Jazz always looked intruiging though, it was loaded with 2 split P bass pickups.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I would recommend Ibanez sr300 with powerspan pickup.

7. davidrf

davidrf

Aug 8, 2011
    The fact is I'm not a bassist and I also have to consider the resell value/ease of a bass I buy, in case I don't like it or I get tired of playing it (hope not, but everything is possible). If I buy a Precision Standard I'm pretty sure it won't devalue much and it will be moderately easy to resell. But it looks like this Blacktop is little known and not so sought after... The same concept is valid (I think) for an Ibanez...

I found another Blacktop at a much lower price (350$) in perfect conditions, that would make more sense but I'm still not sure (or haven't understood) why people seem to disregard so much this model.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021