1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Body Wood (MIM/MIJ/MIA)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thomashawk, Sep 28, 2010.

1. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Given that in each case the body wood is alder, is there any difference in body wood only between a bass MIA, MIM, etc?

MANY thanks!

2. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    My MIM is like 5 fused pieces. I'm sure the MIA are less - perhaps 1 piece?

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    you will (or at least should ) get a better quality cut of wood. A more aged cut. Better book matched pieces if you have a 2 pc body. Things like that.

4. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    A lot of people would say that alder is alder, and that the only difference is that with American you get a body made out of less different peaces, but I agree with the qoute above. My experience is that the better basses (MIJ MIA) get better wood. There are from time to time lesser pieces, but my japanese and american fenders had way more resonant wood then the mexican made. Allthough I've played some very good mexican ones to.

5. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    They aren't all made of alder...

6. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Beautiful guys. Thank you very much for the input. My concerns are confirmed.

7. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    As far as alder is alder, you may be correct. I think this comes more into play when you get into woods like mahogany. Gibson is cranking out crappy guitars and basses so fast that they are all made with very green mahogany. aged mahogany will sound better and wont move around ie: because the neck is made from un-aged wood and required a truss rod adjustment every week.

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If i were in the market for a fender and open to all options I would seek out 1) MIA (new or used any age) 2) MIJ (older ones are awsome) 3) MIM

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021