1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender precision walnut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KLEIN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I have a 1982 fender precision walnut. Does any body have any wiring schematics for the original active pickups?

2. That's the Precision Special, isn't it?

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    They're passive pickups. It's got an active EQ, but the PUPs themselves are totally passive. Can't help you with a schematic however.

jte

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a white '82 Precision Special. The walnut colored P Special was the same thing. Yes, passive pickup with an active preamp in the control cavity.

I haven't seen any wiring diagrams around for them.

5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I have one in my computer. I'm PM-ing you now to get your email addy.

6. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    This bass is in the procsess of restoration and the electronics need to be repaird. I have not been able to find any oem replacement pickups on the fender web sight. So I am just going to have to rewire these myself

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
  8. M5Yates

M5Yates Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Would pictures of the electronics cavity help?

Just out of curiosity, what is the serial number?

Walnuts.

9. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Serial number is g024489. I looked up the number on the fender web site, so thats the only information that I could get for it. I am going to keep this thing original when restoring it. All of you guys would s@$% a brick when I tell you how I got it. A few years ago I was playing in a hardcore thrash metal band. My guitarist had a bass in his closet that was left there by an old friend of his. He called me,and said that he had an old bass that he wanted me to destroy at our upcoming show. I said cool, I love being a little Sid Vicios like on stage. When he brought it to rehearsal, I looked at it and when I saw that it was an old fender special, I knew this thing was worth some money. There was no way in hell that I was going to destroy this bass. He was a punk guy from the streets so he really had no idea what a good instrument is worth. So I said that I would take it and restring it before the show.........I never did. I procrastinated for about 2 years. And after my stint with band, he asked for the bass back. So I told him that I would pay him $250 for it.......he accepted my offer. Now this baby is in the hands of someone who truly understand and respects vintage instruments.

10. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That's the first GOxxxxx number I've seen.
    All of mine (I've had 7) started with CD.

11. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Of course mine isn't a Walnut P Special, but it has a G02 serial as well.

12. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Ok so I guess its not a walnut. But it is a fender special, and M5Yates explained to me that since it is transparent blue, it is a very rare bass. Does anybody know the value of this instrument? It has a white pick guard, but its pretty trashed with stickers and what nots. I want to put a crushed pearl pick guard on it to compliment the gold hardware. Or would this devalue the bass?

13. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    As long as you have the original pick guard when you sell it, the value won't change.
    Try a some 3M adhesive remover to clean the stickers off, then use plastic polish to remove the scratches.
    Value? Late 70's & 80's Fender values have dropped hard in the last 6 months. Last year, the trans colored P Specials were bringing $1300-$1500 on eBay (but those were all original and in excellent condition).

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine is a CD # also.

15. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Im going to restore this thing to its former glory with out changing too much originality. If it needs new pickups, hardware etc then so be it. I will post some pictures of this bass as soon as possible. I am willing to part with it when its finished, only to another bassist who take good care of it.

16. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You got any pics of what it looks like right now? Maybe we can offer restoration advice.

17. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    As soon as I get some pics I will put them up. As of right now it has no electronics in it. But I do have strings on it so I can at least play it. The original pickups might be ok, but I think Im going to put some new stock pickups in it but retain the original white covers. I now have wiring diagrams for it so I can wire the preamp in correctly. The finish is still in pretty good shape other than a few nicks and blemishes, but nothing major. The head stock has cigaret burns on it, so that will have to be taken care of somehow. All the gold hardware needs to be polished and the pick guard is trashed with glue and stickers.