Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision: would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Yesterday I went down to one of the music stores in my city (i live in Islamabad, Pakistan, and we only have 2 music stores) and I saw an original black P-Bass Standard for about 200 €.

Considering the bass I own right now, how long i've been playing bass, my budget (200 € is a lot for me to spend), and my age (its all in here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234060), do you think it would be worth it?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Everyone needs a P bass.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    pbass's are great instruments. they're also the foundation of electric bass. I say get it. It's what I play.

4. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    200 Euro sounds pretty cheap. Is it a Mexican P?

Make sure you try it out. Depends on the style of music you play as well. I personally think a Jazz bass is more versatile, so long as those single coil pickups don't buzz too much.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1, definitely.

6. I'll ask if it's Mexican next time I go to the shop. It's a pretty small shop, and they only have 2 Fender basses (im not sure but i think that's it). They've got the black P-Bass for 200 € and a 100% black J-Bass special (with golden colored tuning keys and knobs) for 300 €, but i don't have enough money for that one.
    In the other shop they have exactly the same P-Bass, I'll just ask for the price as soon as I can (I live in Islamabad, Pakistan, and if you follow the news you know that things are pretty hot right now for foreigners).

I am 100 % sure that if i buy a new bass its gonna be the P-Bass (they don't have many basses around here, i bought mine in Italy this summer), but what i am asking is do you think it would be worth it considering that i have an 8 month-old SX SJB-62 (copy of a J-Bass)?

7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    no question in my mind - copy of a standard, or one of the standards of the industry.....hmmmmmm........

P-bass it, brother bear!

:hyper:

8. You said you're using school's amp for your gigs... - personally I'd spend the money on a loud enough amp of your own for gigs, then you don't need to ask school's permission if you wanna go and do a gig - your bass (from what I've heard about SX basses) should be good enough to last you till you've got enough money for a real fender...

You could just stick some new pickups in it if you think it needs a sound upgrade - but if you've got your heart set on that p bass then go for it. Which do you think you NEED most? - your OWN gigging amp or that bass?

9. Well I don't think it needs a sound upgrade, but again, I'm a noobie. Anyways I don't think I can find new pickups here so I'll drop that.

My heart isn't set on the P-Bass, that's why I came here for advice, because 200 € is a lot of money for me.

In my band, we all use 15W amps to practice, so for now I think I'm okay. The only concerts I have played were at school so I think for now I'll stick with mine until we all buy new amps.
    But if I decide to buy a new amp (I change my mind very quickly), how loud do you think the speaker should be, and how much would it cost?

P.S:
    People also tell me that! I hate it when they do that!

10. well..for live gigs yoou'll probably need 100-150 watts at the least if you want to be able to hear yourself over the drums...how loud is that amp at school? - if it does you well at school then its probably loud enough - if your the only bass player at school, you could ask them when you finish if they'll sell it to you for a reasonable price...you never know - my mate borrowed an old bass from school once which nobody used and they told him he may as well keep it...

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'd say go for it, too. You already have a J style bass. Adding a P bass to the arsenal would leave you set for a good, long time.

Buy it and enjoy:bassist:

13. GET THE P

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Guys, he said it was a Standard P-Bass. Standard's are Made in Mexico.

Get the P-bass. Everyone has to own one.

-Mark

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If the serial number on the headstock starts with 'M' then it is Mexican.

16. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I agree with everyone else that a P-Bass is definitely a good thing to have. Since you already have an SX J-Bass, why not get one of the SX P-basses?

I don't know how much shipping or exchange rates are but I do know that there are SEVERAL P-basses on the Rondo site priced between $99 and $109 USD.

Those may be viable options for you.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Buy it! You will not regret it. :cool:

(Unless you owe someone money and they send a hired goon to collect. Then you will very clearly regret it.)

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    A Huge +1.

19. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    If you like the Precision, you can't go wrong. It goes everywhere.

20. mattvon

mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1, once you learn to play a P, you'll be well prepared for any situation.