Fender Precision: would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Yesterday I went down to one of the music stores in my city (i live in Islamabad, Pakistan, and we only have 2 music stores) and I saw an original black P-Bass Standard for about 200 €.

Considering the bass I own right now, how long i've been playing bass, my budget (200 € is a lot for me to spend), and my age (its all in here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234060), do you think it would be worth it?
  2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Everyone needs a P bass.
  3. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    pbass's are great instruments. they're also the foundation of electric bass. I say get it. It's what I play.
  4. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    200 Euro sounds pretty cheap. Is it a Mexican P?

Make sure you try it out. Depends on the style of music you play as well. I personally think a Jazz bass is more versatile, so long as those single coil pickups don't buzz too much.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1, definitely.
  6. I'll ask if it's Mexican next time I go to the shop. It's a pretty small shop, and they only have 2 Fender basses (im not sure but i think that's it). They've got the black P-Bass for 200 € and a 100% black J-Bass special (with golden colored tuning keys and knobs) for 300 €, but i don't have enough money for that one.
    In the other shop they have exactly the same P-Bass, I'll just ask for the price as soon as I can (I live in Islamabad, Pakistan, and if you follow the news you know that things are pretty hot right now for foreigners).

I am 100 % sure that if i buy a new bass its gonna be the P-Bass (they don't have many basses around here, i bought mine in Italy this summer), but what i am asking is do you think it would be worth it considering that i have an 8 month-old SX SJB-62 (copy of a J-Bass)?
  7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    no question in my mind - copy of a standard, or one of the standards of the industry.....hmmmmmm........

P-bass it, brother bear!

8. You said you're using school's amp for your gigs... - personally I'd spend the money on a loud enough amp of your own for gigs, then you don't need to ask school's permission if you wanna go and do a gig - your bass (from what I've heard about SX basses) should be good enough to last you till you've got enough money for a real fender...

You could just stick some new pickups in it if you think it needs a sound upgrade - but if you've got your heart set on that p bass then go for it. Which do you think you NEED most? - your OWN gigging amp or that bass?
  9. Well I don't think it needs a sound upgrade, but again, I'm a noobie. Anyways I don't think I can find new pickups here so I'll drop that.

My heart isn't set on the P-Bass, that's why I came here for advice, because 200 € is a lot of money for me.

In my band, we all use 15W amps to practice, so for now I think I'm okay. The only concerts I have played were at school so I think for now I'll stick with mine until we all buy new amps.
    But if I decide to buy a new amp (I change my mind very quickly), how loud do you think the speaker should be, and how much would it cost?

People also tell me that! I hate it when they do that!
  10. well..for live gigs yoou'll probably need 100-150 watts at the least if you want to be able to hear yourself over the drums...how loud is that amp at school? - if it does you well at school then its probably loud enough - if your the only bass player at school, you could ask them when you finish if they'll sell it to you for a reasonable price...you never know - my mate borrowed an old bass from school once which nobody used and they told him he may as well keep it...
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  12. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'd say go for it, too. You already have a J style bass. Adding a P bass to the arsenal would leave you set for a good, long time.

Buy it and enjoy:bassist:
  13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Guys, he said it was a Standard P-Bass. Standard's are Made in Mexico.

Get the P-bass. Everyone has to own one.

14. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If the serial number on the headstock starts with 'M' then it is Mexican.
  15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I agree with everyone else that a P-Bass is definitely a good thing to have. Since you already have an SX J-Bass, why not get one of the SX P-basses?

I don't know how much shipping or exchange rates are but I do know that there are SEVERAL P-basses on the Rondo site priced between $99 and $109 USD.

Those may be viable options for you.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Buy it! You will not regret it. :cool:

(Unless you owe someone money and they send a hired goon to collect. Then you will very clearly regret it.)
  17. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    A Huge +1.
  18. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    If you like the Precision, you can't go wrong. It goes everywhere.
  19. mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1, once you learn to play a P, you'll be well prepared for any situation.