Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atreyucurse, Aug 21, 2005.

1. atreyucurse

atreyucurse

Feb 22, 2005
    These any good for slap?

Thanks,

AC

2. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    yea id say so

Louis Johnson of the Johnson brothers is probably one of the nastiest slappers ever and he used a P.

3. [​IMG]

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    haha I got really confused after that. I thought Talkbass messed up

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    ^^^^+10000000000000000000000.......................

Also, brialliantly done, most original way i've seen yet! :p

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    You could do better than a P for slap my man

7. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    it´s perfect for me...

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    While I'm a huge fan of the P, I don't recommend them for slapping.

I'm not saying that you can't. I'm just saying that if you do, it's decidedly old school and very retro - Not the slap sound that we're accustomed to hearing.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Slapped P-basses sound fantastic! But as noted, they don't have the typical (overdone? ;) ) J-bass slap-sound. So, if you want to maximize your marketability, then you're possibly better off playing a PJ bass, or owning both P and J basses.

My current #1 bass has just the one P pickup, and sounds great for slap. But I own another bass that does J-bass sounds. If a bandleader ever requested the J-bass slap sound, then I would oblige.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I must add my .02 cents... my Squier P-bass sounds AWESOME slapped.. but my fender really doesn't have the.. "Thud" I guess that you need.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, they work fine. I happen to love the slapped Precision tone with dead roundwounds.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 :D

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    String spacing @ the bridge is a bit tight an alot of P's, some players appreciate a bit more space, I'm one of them. The tone is fine. The "typical expected" tone is also associated with players from the past so many consider it more "old school", but I think a P, set-up with slapping in mind can get pretty gnarly indeed!!

14. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    Just wanted to further mess with people and quote this. And say that it's a marvelously sarcastic way to point out the search function. Brilliant.