Fender price increase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Torning, Dec 7, 2022.

1. One of the major bass guitar retailers in Australia is promoting a price increase by Fender of 10 to 15% as of 1 January 2023. Has anyone else from another country heard of similar price increases?

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 20.34.33.png

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    :wideyed:

JRA, George Dennis, sonojono and 3 others like this.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    In Germany, the prices already took quite a hike. When I bought my Vintera a while back, it retailed at a grand with a street price of 929. The same bass retails at 1299 now.
    The American Pro II models sat around 1700 and are a touch above 2000 now.

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    Wow. Glad I have what I have!

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nice, that'll bring the Fender Player basses to nearly $1,000.
    Gee, I guess I'd better buy this one now, because ay $1,800 it would just be a bit much.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  6. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    If a price increase is advertised, is it real or just marketing? Wouldn't it be in the interest of the seller to get you to part with more money? Sense of urgency is a great way to get people to the yes column.

Bass-ball, sonojono, gln1955 and 4 others like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I'm not a huge Fender fan, but I don't think you can hate on them that much. Everything is up. Have you priced a flight lately? Booked a hotel? Been to a restaurant? But when you get to those prices, the used market looks pretty good. I'd be looking for a used Lakland or something like that over a new Fender.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    I do a travel gig in southern Maryland every year. This year was the first time back since 2019. The hotel I had stayed at before was up 90%. Found a different one.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. Advertising a phony price increase just to boost sales is bad form for any company. For someone like Fender, I'd think it would be an especially poor move on their part.

If the price increase is real, and especially justified, then letting people know how much and when, is good customer service.

They could just increase prices without an announcement in hopes that most who were considering buying in the new year won't be scared off. Also not a good strategy IMO, but better than trying to trick people into fear buying.

EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Is it that time of year for the "Fender price increase" threads already? Wow, time flies!

MonetBass, BillMason, 6-3-2 and 17 others like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    How bout a nice juicy 4 string ribeye? I believe the 5'ers are bone in... the cob is free. ;)

12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

First, you can bet the price increase is for real, same as the prices of all goods/services are going up, so are Fender's prices. This is the world we live in, now. It's been like this for a couple years, and it's likely going to continue for at least a few more.

Announcing a looming price increase creates a sense of urgency, of course. But ultimately it's not so much to get people to part with more money, but rather to urge people to actually spend less money now, than if they wait 'til later to buy. It's as much a "wake up call" for consumers as it is a seasonal marketing tactic (it's Christmas-time, after all).

For anyone planning on buying anything in the near future, now is the time. Clearly...we wait, we pay more later.

13. ahbradot

ahbradot

Dec 14, 2019
    Florida
    I believe it's admirable giving your customers a chance to save before a hike. There are endless threads of TBer's wishing they bought something ahead of these increases. "I could've , I should've, I would've." Let's just say you were politely forewarned.

14. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Lucky the cost of practicing isn't increasing eh.

15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Their US made basses were over priced and now they are ridiculous. There are so many better builders out there.

DWBass, JRA, 6-3-2 and 14 others like this.
  16. MrB64

MrB64

Nov 18, 2021
    Missouri, USA
    Fender's way overrated.

Phlipper, DWBass, JRA and 7 others like this.
  17. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Before long, the Mexican Signsture models will start at $2K and the US models at $3k .

mtdkingstonheir, JRA and Chrisk-K like this.
  18. Good thing I got one (Player P) on the Black Friday sale (Sweetwater). 18% discount off retail, same discount they were offering on the Squiers.

I'm not a huge Fender fan either Steve, much more of a Thunderbird guy. Bought it for a specific use, tribute band where I needed a white P bass to complete the "period correct look". New Player P with maple neck. If I could have found one used with a maple neck would have gone that way instead. But I have to say that it IS a really nice bass, neck is great, flawless finish, nice punchy pickups, nothing to criticize about it. Almost bought the Squier 60's but since I already have 3 Squiers (which I'm perfectly happy with) and since I'm gigging a lot and can justify spending a bit more (and since I got a good price on it) it I figured what the hell.

AltGrendel, BlueTalon and jd56hawk like this.
  19. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Almost ever skilled trades person I've RFQ'd and interviewed in the last 6 months to do work on my house has warned about a double digit price increase starting January 1st.

I'm in no rush to play. We'll see about how that all shakes out next year when most likely the economy will be more tepid.

//It's as old as the buy gold now and brain pills pitches and what they all in effect tell me to do is walk or run. I'm not buying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You’re all the very best virtual friends! I’d give you a discount if I could.

But if I were Fender’s CMO I’d raise prices on every electric bass and guitar twice a year until it adversely affected dealer commitments. Then I’d restructure dealership agreements as they expired and proactively decrease discount protections to any legacy dealer unwilling to commit to an annual unitary increase in order volume.

Demand trumps supply with this brand.