1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Pro Jazz v. Original 60s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkyfishies, Feb 17, 2018.

1. funkyfishies

funkyfishies

Nov 11, 2017
    Hi. I'm looking to snatch a second bass to string with flats for a more classic tone.

I already have a Fender Professional Jazz with a rosewood fretboard and I was looking at the new Original 60s Jazz.

My worry is that they're going to sound too alike given they're both passive basses with alder bodies and rosewood fretboards. If that's the case, should I instead look into getting a second Pro Jazz or something like a Sadowsky MetroExpress with an ash body and maple fretboard and string the rosewood fretboard Jazz with flats?

2. Cool Bass

Cool Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2013
    California
    The Pro has the newer v-mod pickups and the Original 60’s should have the 64(maybe) pickups. The pickup positions maybe different from each other. Don’t know for sure on that one. Then there is the neck, bridge and tuners difference. I think altogether a different bass. And while not a true vintage, there is 50(ish) years between these two designs. I think enough of a difference to warrant a try.

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I don't have the vintage Jazz or P, but I'm sure it is different. I have the pro (P with Rosewood, Jazz with Maple) and for a little more you can get the vintage. I love Sadowsky's also and have a NYC 5. But if you are looking for a vintage tone, I think the vintage fender is the way to go. I would love one but 2 Pros in a year I'm tapped with buying another bass right now. Whatever you get Pictures please.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wow, you are way overthinking this.

Once you put flats on and maybe stuff foam under the strings, even if you had two basses that truly sounded identical (which is rare) the two will sound different just because of the strings. Your playing technique makes a difference in getting the "vintage" sound, too...look at videos of guys playing before 1970 and you'll see their right hands way up by the fingerboard while after 1970 they are all playing down by the bridge.

Dr. Cheese and saabfender like this.
  5. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    They’ll be different enough and same enough, will be a nice couple, excited to see them

6. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don’t understand this lust for “classic tone.” Are you playing music from the ‘50s and ‘60s? What does that even mean? It sound like marketing jargon, not something actually descriptive of an instrument’s sound.

My first bass was a mid-70s Jazz with a maple board. It was one of the brightest basses I’ve ever played and certainly the brightest I’ve ever owned. I fought that thing for ten years to make it sound like a P-Bass with a rosewood board, like all the rock songs at the time (except Lee and Squire - totally could get that happening). The Sadowsky looks like you’d be in similar territory but for three grand.

This brings me to my main point: why are you asking strangers on the internet how you should spend thousands of dollars on instruments you’ve never played for a vague set of musical goals? It’s a recipe for spending a bunch of dough on something you’ll have a couple years, be mostly unsatisfied with and take a financial kick in the nuts when you sell it.

Step away from the screen and go play about 50 or so instruments. When I bought my acoustic it was a little over a hundred. You’re in CA. There are thousands of guitar stores there. It you don’t connect with an instrument, keep looking. Only you know what you are looking for so only you can find it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  7. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

While blunt, I agree with what you're saying: getting out and trying new basses is the only way to find the sound you're looking for. Being in a place like Cali only makes this easier.

Perhaps OP was looking for advice before he went a-searchin'? I do that and that is, of course, one of the reasons forums like this exist. But, you've seemingly got your mind set between 2-3 options, so go play some!:bassist: And let us know how it goes.

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Pick the one that plays the best, as either of those models will get you where you want to go. Both can easily be made to sound "old school" with the right set of flats and actually using the tone knob on the bass.

If it was me I'd get a Precision and put some flats on it instead of having two J's.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    maplenecked likes this.
  9. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.

I’d rather buy/sell/return a few basses I suspect I may like and discuss them on here then visit thousands of stores in California. 100 ways to skin a cat!