Fender Pure Vintage 63 Precision Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jan 27, 2018.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Just wanted to let you all know I dropped a set of these in my 08 american standard P bass and they are the Real Deal.

Round bottom end, enough highs but not too much to make you have to roll the tone knob back to much.

Theres not alot of samples online so maybe I will make a video but if you were on the fence I would def recommend them.

Easily my favorite pickups ever in a P bass.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Congrat !

My PV 63pup sound really shine with TiJF344 .

murphy and Iofflight like this.
  3. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    I'd like to see that video for sure!
    The post 2012 am stds have 60's custom pickups... do you think that these vintage 63 pups would sound so different?

Btbp likes this.
  4. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    def different.

Way more of a round bottom end and not as much highs, I much prefer the vin 63 pups over the 62s. I will have to make a video soon

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I have a PV'63 in each of my two Precision basses. My favorite pickup of the few I've tried (OEM '08 AM. Std. stock pickup, EMG GZR, Fender Original '62) and sounds great with any strings you decide to use, flats, rounds, etc.

Update: see post #17. Ended up falling-out of love with the PV'63.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    A set of the PV's should be arriving today (based on hearing good things on here) so I am looking forward to hear if they can fill the big shoes of the EMG GZR's that are currently in my Pbass now!

7. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Was a video ever made?

8. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Nooe but i can make a recording later on if you want

9. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That's up to you. Asked because the '63 pup is one I've been looking at for quite a while.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Ill make one this weekend when i have a few minutes

Backdrop likes this.
  11. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    ok video made! listen through a stereo or headphones

Birdman1972, whamni, Raman and 5 others like this.
  12. CZGunslinger

CZGunslinger

Jan 16, 2008
    Arkansas
    Sounds really good! I'm building a Precision with those exact pickups as we speak. Can't wait to get it all together.

13. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Does sound good. Thanks for that.

14. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Yea my playing is mediocre at best (probably would be better if i planned what I was gonna play) but def shows off the pickups

robmclucky and username1 like this.
  15. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I used to love the PV'63 pickup, but what I've found is it sounds incredible by itself, but once it's in the mix with the rest of the band it gets a bit lost and buried, and even more if you use a more traditional flat wound string. In a few I'm going to drop in an SD SPB-1 and see how that goes...

16. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I played mine at church yesterday and, although with just an acoustic guitar and drummer, it sounded good with the Labellas through the PA. To me, maybe not a cutting as the GZR since I think that one has a bump in the mids.

I would be curious what your thoughts are on the SPB-1 once you have it installed.

17. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I installed the SPB-1 yesterday. So far I'm preferring it over the PV'63 and GZR. Still has plenty of low end, but a punchier, tighter low end than the SPB-1 and GZR, and smoother, less harsh highs than the stock Classic 50's / older American Standard pickup and Fender "Original" pickup. SPB-1 takes EQ really well, and can add more lows if I need to without making it muddy. Pairs really well with the LaBella flats and the Fender Rumble 500 V3.

There are also other factors that go into the equation though along with each person's personal preference, so I don't doubt you sounded great! I used to think the fattest, warmest, biggest low end was the way to go, but maybe my tastes are changing, as I'm more into a good, solid thumpy, classic tone, and less into mud and thud, which is what I was getting with the PV'63 and flats. Also have to take into considering the amp being used and amp settings, style of the player, pick or fingers, etc...

18. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I have heard good things about the Duncan so I may give that a try down the road. Curious, what didn't you like about the GZR?

Zoobiedood likes this.
  19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Just didnt live up to all the hype it gets around here for me. Sounded muddy, I hated the way the tone pot sounded/sweep of the pot. Almost sounded like a comb filtering effect to my ear, and the pots had pretty much no resistance to them and turned way too freely. It also was a stupid tight fit in a Classic 50's P with the anodized pickguards.

I found that a lot of the pickups that seem to be popular currently have a pretty hyped low end, which sounds great by themselves, but once mixed in with the rest of the band live it kind of disappears and gets lost. Sure, there's a fatter low end, but at the loss of definition and articulation.

I will say though that the PV'63 was great for recording. But for playing live it left me wanting something else.

SwitchGear and BlueP like this.
  20. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    I had the spb 1 on a bass and while I did like it I like the PV 63 better