1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble 500 Head or Combo with 210 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hofner95, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Hofner95

Hofner95

Aug 10, 2018
    California
    Hello everyone, This is my first post and I have seen topics similar but I figure I'll ask a slightly different question. I have finally decided to start saving money for a new amp and I have decided to get the Fender Rumble 500 along with the Rumble 210 Cab. My dilemma is this: I am not sure whether to get the 500 Head or the 500 Combo.

Getting the 500 Head with the 210 cab is cheaper, less total weight and easy to transport with 2 Speakers total.

The 500 Combo with the 210 Cab is more expensive, more total weight with two whole cabs to bring but has a total of 4 speakers.

I don't play live, but I do aspire to play with others and record and play shows. My question is are the 2 extra speakers worth paying a little bit more and having more to carry? Will the 2 extra speakers improve the sound quality or just make it able to handle louder volumes? I figured I'd ask those with more playing experience and technical knowledge.

2. Welcome to TB.
    Either way, I think the 500 will suit your needs now and you can add a second 2x10 if the need arises.
    If the extra cost of the head and cab are not an issue, I’d go that way just for the extra flexibility.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Bass Man Dan, jeff7bass and eriky4003 like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think having a separate head and cab gives you more options. For instance, I rehearse with two bands at two locations, and practice in a room in my house. I have a cab at each location, so I can just travel with bass and head. Also allows you to upgrade cab if/when you want.

Skullheadrac, Robgw and Joedog like this.
  4. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight. Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I agree. Start with a combo.

If you're not going to be playing live, I'd highly recommend the 200 instead. I have an 1800 sq. ft. townhouse with my studio in a full-sized loft. My 200 is PLENTY! Add a 115 (my preference) or a 210 to it later, if the need arises.

You'll have a ton of wasted watts with the 500. With my 200, gain at 9 o'clock, pushing the master volume past 10 o'clock is asking for neighbor trouble. My dogs change rooms after about 9 o'clock. :bassist:

I plan to add a 115 cab at some point. After that, I'll probably sell the 200 combo, buy a second 115, and then 200 and 500 heads. A 200 driving one cab up to a 500 driving both. Should cover almost every application.

Head over to the Fender Rumble Club. Tons of good info there.

Fender Rumble Club

Hurricane Jimmie and Stumbo like this.
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Get the combo. It’s less money, less weight and less hassle, and sounds exactly the same as the head and 210 cab. You can then get an extra 210 later if needed, but my guess is that the combo will be more than enough to be going on with.

Skullheadrac and Linnin like this.
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    First of all, the Rumble 500 combo gives the exact same sound capability as the Rumble 500 head with one 210 cabinet, but the combo is less expensive and weighs less! They both produce up to 350 watts into two 10" Eminence speakers.

Your statements highlighted in red above are true, but your comparison is unequal:

The 500 Head with one 210 cab is about $750 new, weighs about 44 lb.s and has 2 speakers total producing up to 350 watts.

The 500 Combo alone is about $600 new, weighs about 36.5 lb.s and has 2 speakers total producing up to 350 watts.

Both of these configurations give the exact same sound capability, but the combo saves you money. Later when, and if, you need more volume you can get another 210 cabinet for about $350 to give either configuration a total of 4 speakers producing up to 500 watts.

Hope this helps.

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    As @G-Dog points out, your comparison isn't quite fair.

I will say that I bought the 500 combo a few years ago. Since then I have been really wanting the 210 extension cab tcab to go with it, however, I haven't yet found a situation that gives me the excuse to buy it (I know, blasphemy!! :eek: )

8. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Likewise, I've wanted a 210 cab to go with my Rumble 500 combo, but I haven't needed it enough to actually buy it. I did use my Bassman 115 with the combo a couple times when I thought it might be necessary, and it certainly was spectacular, but I have to admit it wasn't really needed. I hate it when guitarists tell me I have to turn down! They were right, but I hate to hear it.

9. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    I went with the 500 combo with the additional 210 cabinet when needed. I use the combo for hauling around to practices (it's super light and portable even as a combo unit) and for small venues, then add the cabinet for larger gigs where the full 500 watts works a little better. For gigs where I need even more oomph, I have an SVT/fridge but honestly the rumble 500c/210 works great for 90% of my gigs.

G-Dog likes this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble Stage 800!
    Fender-Rumble-Stage-800-and-Fender-Rumble-Studio-40-Reviews.

BEADG63 likes this.
  11. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I have the Rumble 500 combo with the 1x15 ext cab....
    I like it. No issues at all

Linnin likes this.
  12. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    HEAD + CAB.
    Add more speakers later if you need them.

13. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Another vote for head + cab. Flexibility to try different cabs in the future - no need to be locked down to just Fender.

14. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    That's an easy one for me. Get the pieces separately. That's a good head and if you want to put it with a 410, and 810 or even a 115 you can easily do that. With just the head, you can choose which cabs you want to use. With a combo, you can add another cab with it, but that 210 is going with you no matter what.

15. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    I'd say go with the combo at this point. You can always upgrade later on (and buy used). You'll like having a stay at home practice amp.
    I have 2 amp heads, 2 cabs and a combo practice at home amp for when i practice with just the drummer indoors.

16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Since you've decided on the Rumble 500, and want to save money, get the combo. Don't get the 210 cab yet. Play with just the combo for awhile, and see if you need the extra 210.

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's what I would do also. The head is powerful enough to drive two cabs very loud so just be careful if you're playing with a single cab.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I thought it sounded strange. Yes you do pay for added flexibility (head + cab) in almost all cases. I would think there would be a bit of a sacrifice sound-wise when it comes to a combo also because of the physical aspects of placing the head directly inside the speaker cab. Especially with lighter, less expensive combos where the baffling might not be as strong.

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am yet to read or meet anyone that can hear a sound difference between the 500 combo and the 500 head + 210.

20. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I know - I had to invent a reason to get one! :)

JACink and G-Dog like this.