Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Yeah the MGB was used by a bass player here 80's and 90's from memory by Adelaide band Chunky Custard..had a black one I think it was...sounded great.

RedVee likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Hey guys, in another thread, someone mentioned the master affects the line out, is that true? I thought it was only gain and EQ going out the line out ...

3. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    The XLR line output on many—if not all—of the Rumble series amps (V3) is post all controls, including the Master. See the attached block diagram from the manual. Rumble.png

MCF, GonePlaid and alanloomis1980 like this.
  4. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Thanks! I was just looking at that, but couldnt tell where the master is in the chain. (We were discussing 100 and 200 combos)

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    In the block diagram, the master control is shown in the top line, just before the (Contour) Voicing Filters and Active EQ.

GonePlaid and alanloomis1980 like this.
  6. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I see it now! I expected to see it after EQ. and I'm trying to zoom in on my phone here, lol o_O

GonePlaid likes this.
  7. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Yes, the Master Volume does affect the XLR line out on the Rumble 40 thru 500, but it's apparently not as drastic as some may expect. See real life experiences in the Rumble XLR Out Volume Levels section of the wiki page.

The Studio 40 & Stage 800 each give you both a pre & post XLR out with no Master affects (default mode), or you can choose stereo XLR outs. The Rumble 800 HD gives you a pre/post switch on the XLR out with no Master affect.

8. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    So is that common for line outs? It's never been an issue for me, but I guess that could turn someone off...

GonePlaid likes this.
  9. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    Understood. In many products, the order of controls on the human interface used to control a device—in this case the amplifier's control panel—does not necessarily follow the order of signal flow within the device.

GonePlaid and alanloomis1980 like this.
  10. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    It's not my own personal preference, but as G-Dog says, the action of the control is not drastic, particularly once you've dialed in a ballpark setting on the master.

GonePlaid, G-Dog and alanloomis1980 like this.
  11. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Direct question: Can I add an extra cab to my Fender Rumble 200 V3 combo? Is it the same size? Will it look like an even stack?

Thanks.

Giffro, GonePlaid and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Thanks! Plenty to comb over here!

Frankly I never even noticed! I recommended a rumble, and the other guy brought it up. We run our own PA and try our best to "set it and forget it" so any mid show changes are minor.

GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  13. NHM

NHM

Mar 4, 2014
    Kent UK
    Changing the subject slightly, how do the programmable effects in the Studios compare to a Zoom B3n? If I shell out for a Studio could I ditch the Zoom without missing out on anything the Zoom has?

14. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

My small bands, where we ran our own PAs, all appreciated getting a post-eq signal; less work for whichever one of us ran the PA. My bigger bands, using various soundmen who often requested pre-eq signals, never seemed to have a problem when I sent them a post-eq signal instead!

I work hard on "my sound" to fit the songs, that's my job. So that's what I want going to FOH, like miking the cab but, without the mike. Now, whatever the soundman feels he has to do with that, well, that's his job, not mine. Ideally, a gig will have some, maybe a lot(!), of dynamics not just of volume but of tones, also. I've not seen many soundmen who are nearly as dedicated to that, for each instrument, as the musicians themselves.

Just my 2¢.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    JPDsma, MCF, chupacerveza and 2 others like this.
  15. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    Here are some numbers: With a nominal -40 dBu test tone at 400 Hz into the input of my Rumble 100 combo, all controls flat (12 o'clock position), I plugged the XLR output into a balanced input of a line level mixer and set the level to read -6 on the VU meter. Rotating the master clockwise from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock raises the level by 9 dB to about +3VU. Rotating the master counter-clockwise from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock reduces the level by about 12 dB to -18VU. So under these admittedly primitive test conditions, the sweep from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock induces a change of about 21 dB (with steady-state tones, VU are equivalent to dB for all intents and purposes).

BUT, if you set the level on your sound reinforcement system after ballparking the master at, say, 12 o'clock, you're only changing that level by +9 or -12 dB even with fairly substantial changes in the master level. If your mixer channel fader is set at the unity gain position, there would be no adverse effects on clipping by raising the amp's master level as above, or on audible noise by lowering the amp's master level, with just about any well designed mixer. It's noteworthy that rotating the master control past 3 o'clock to the extreme clockwise position has little to no effect on the measured output level from the XLR line output (less than 2 dB), with my 100. That may be a result of the built-in delta-comp limiter, but with a -40 input signal, I doubt it.

GonePlaid, alanloomis1980 and G-Dog like this.
  16. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Only you can decide that for yourself, N. But others have. Here's one example:

GonePlaid likes this.
  17. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    The 2x10 is the same size.

Giffro, sgtpepper and GonePlaid like this.
  18. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

As richy says, only the 210 extension cab is the same size as your Rumble 200 combo. The 112, if you can find one, is the same width & depth, but shorter height. The 115 and 410 cabs are bigger. See the Extension Speaker Cabs section of the Rumble Wiki for examples.

Giffro, sgtpepper and GonePlaid like this.
  19. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yes. Maybe-depends on the cab. Ditto.

chupacerveza and sgtpepper like this.
  20. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    200c/112(and famous garage door)
    0424181005-00.jpg

Giffro, RedVee, JPDsma and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021