1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender SCN jazz bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BSOD, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hi all,

just wondering what peoles opinions of these pickups are. I am considering replacing the pickups in my Squire VM fretless with these. Any suggestions of other good replacement pickups would also be welcome. The main reason for the Fender SNCs is that they are a straight drop in replacement, so no need to mod the body. Also considering replacing the bridge with a Baddass II as wel.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Craig

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I like the SCN's a lot. I have modded my Jazz in other ways, but the stock SCN's suit me just fine. Some people have suggested that the SCN's work most optimally in connection with an onboard preamp, but others have pointed out that there is at least one stock Fender model with SCN's and no preamp, so it's not like you have to use a preamp. Also the preamp I'm using has an active/passive switch, and the pups sound pretty good passive. I do prefer the active tone though.

3. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    I like the SCN's in my Squier Affinity V,, i ran them passive for quite a while, altho, i just installed an Audere & they sound fantastic. the best thing is, you can solo either pickup with no noise whatsoever. :D

4. Thanks for the replies so far. I'll probably run them passive initially and see how it goes. If I decide I want a little more from them then I'll look into some form of pre-amp, assuming I can retro fit one on the Squire as there's no location for one except where the existing volume/tone controls are.

Once again, thanks for your comments so far.

Regards,

Craig