1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Steve Harris Blue Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ultura, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ultura

Ultura

May 31, 2010
    Hey,
    Is the old blue fender steve harris's out of stock. I couldn't find anywhere. Is anyone tried the new white ones? White cheaper than blue(it was 1200$) why is that? Anyone have idea?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The old one is no longer in production. Some places might still carry them. Where are you finding the prices you mention?

3. Ultura

Ultura

May 31, 2010
  4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Price checks and things are restricted to supporting members here, but you can look at Reverb and Ebay to see not only what people are asking for their instruments, but you can check successfully-sold instruments and see how much they went for.

wintremute and byoung93888 like this.
  5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    You might look at eBay to get an idea what the basses are going for. That's usually the first place I look when trying to get an idea what a bass is worth for resale.

6. Ultura

Ultura

May 31, 2010
    I checked the ebay and reverb but all i see the new one. used or new all white.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Look for completed listings. They're there.

8. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    You might also get an idea of what a bass around the year and shape yours is selling for. Being a sig model, that can change things, and also the fact they aren't being made anymore could factor in as well.

I personally think those basses are awesome. I kick myself for not getting one before the change to the ugly white version. Someday I'll find one, just don't have the cash for one right now.

9. Ultura

Ultura

May 31, 2010
    Probably i can't see because of my country. I'll check later with dns stuff. Thanks for answers.In 10 years blue ones might be very valuable :)

10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Not to hijack, but I think the white one rocks! Hell, either one would be nice to have if they didn't weigh a hundred pounds.

BubbaZed, dcbassist5 and byoung93888 like this.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I bought a white West Ham SH a year ago, but only because I couldn't find a blue one.
    I would have preferred a blue, but the white is pretty nice. Heavy as hell, but sounds great.
    It did require a full setup & a neck shim to get playability where it needed to be.

White = made in Mexico, blue = made in Japan
    White = maple body, blue = alder.
    White = boat anchor heavy, blue = just heavy
    White = Fender Hi Mass bridge, blue - Badass II bridge

byoung93888 likes this.
  12. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Sounds like I will bypass the white one for sure now. Not only is it butt ugly, it doesn't have the wood I prefer, hardware, and the weight is up.

Does anyone know if the necks are the same?

If they are ill just buy one of those and build my own. That way it will be done right, lol

13. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    They are crazy heavy. What ever they do have going for them, was immediately lost the minute I picked up that led sled.

JGbassman likes this.
  14. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Sounds like the old blue ones will be the basses to have.

15. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    They sound really, really good.

thebreakman and superdick2112 like this.
  16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i think you can just put the steve harris neck on a lake placid blue fender p

JGbassman likes this.
  17. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Yes. Yes they do. :bassist:

IMG_0753_zpsgtf5728b.

thebreakman, RyanKW and wintremute like this.
  18. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    I'd probably go the route of a warmouth body and a tasty blue metal flake finish. I still have a couple badass bridges laying around to add

superdick2112 and mpdd like this.
  19. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    If you can stand the extra weight, have them do it in maple.
    My maple-bodied white Harris is the first P I've owned (and I've owned over a dozen of 'em) that absolutely nails his tone.
    I string mine with Cobalt flats - I prefer their lower tension vs. Rotosound flats, and they seem to retain their brightness longer.

20. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    I see you are a fellow Spector lover as well, so we both know we will look the other way at weight when tone is at stake. This is interesting, I figured the maple would give it a different tone that what he runs. I'm not really looking for his sound, rather I like the feel and sound the blue P's have. I've not had the chance to play one of the white ones, as they aren't stocked at any music stores in my general area.

I just can't get past the blue hilighting on his new one. Not my cup of tea at all