1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Sting Precision Help Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I just had major sugery and need to know how much my Bass weighs.

I dont have any scales at my home and couldnt find the weight in the specs. Now bare in mind I'm loopy from all the pain pills and am having a hard time functioning.

My surgeon said I could play but to take it easy. I want to find out how much it weighs and talk to the surgeon again before I start to do anything.

I'm not ready to play today or anything but need to come up with a game plan for rehersal/gigging.

I just joined a new Band and we have only rehersed once. I got to work on their material before my surgery but havent rehersed it with them yet.

Good news is my first gig with them isnt til November 21st then 28th. It is pretty much basic old school blues which comes naturally to me but there are a few choice songs with some twists to them.

My plan is to figure out when it is safe for me to start back going over the songs and then set up a full rehersal. They are waiting on me to give them a rehersal date.

Let me make this clear also, I am not going to push it and my new band isnt pressuring me. I want to do this wisely and have plenty of time to work this all out.

Right now I need to know how much this Bass weighs and dont need any case weight. When it's time to move equipment I will have someone else carry everything for me and will only be playing. My surgeon did say I would be fine in time for full gigging but I do want to give him that weight before he makes a final decision on what I can/can not do and when.

Thak you for all your help in advance.

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Bring your bass to your doctor's office, there's bound to be about several hundred scales in that building.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    That is a good Idea but I will not be going back to his office for a month. It is in Dowtown Atlanta and I live waaaaayyyy up in North Georgia. He dosnt want to see me unless I have any problems and so far I'm doing great.

I just need to know how much they weigh so I can discuss this on the phone with him.

4. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Why don't you just sit when you play?

5. not all basses of the same model weigh the same. get a friend or relative to weigh it for you or buy a cheap scale for you. you want to be sure what YOUR bass weighs, not somebody else's sting bass

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Agreed. This is an Ash Bodied Bass and is lighter than most.

I think a good close Idea would be fine to convey to the doctor. I'm not up to running out and doing things yet and if I get my Sweet Wife involved I'll probably get a lecture. :D

I certainly will be setting down when I play for a while but the weight will be hanging on my left shoulder. My surgery was on 4 vertebrae in my neck. If it was anywhere else it might not be as sensitive.

Just need a weight Please?

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Just estimate it at a weight that it is sure to be over what it really is.

Call it 11 lbs and see what the Dr. says.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would think if you estimate it as ten pounds you'd be close. What's your restriction?

9. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I had to guess, which is exactly what I'm doing, I'd guess that your bass is around 10 pounds, give or take a pound or two. Generally speaking, a Fender bass will weigh around 9 or 10 pounds, at least that's what all of mine weigh.

70s Fender basses sometimes weighed several pounds more than that range, but I haven't personally heard of any Sting sigs that weigh that much. The Sting sigs are ash though, so the average may be a bit higher (say 10 to 12 pounds).

See if you can get a friend to come over and weigh the bass for you, most people (and especially their wives) will tend to have a bathroom scale that they could schlep over to your pad. Your health is too precious to risk.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you do use a bathroom scale, don't try weighing just the bass - it may not be accurate under 50 or so pounds. Weight someone with and without the bass.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Doc said nothing over 10 pounds for a month but then I asked him about playing and he said he thought I could after my pain went away and I was on the road to recovery. He suggested I sit down and try to take it as easy as I can.

I am not going to push it, my recovery is more important but I do want to try and meet my comitments if I can.

These Basses are unusually light, I just needed to know how much. I'm sure someone will come along soon that konws.

The Basses are Ash Bodied but have the Modern Body Contours which lighten the load, They also have simple hardware such as one single coils pickup, vol tone, and vintage style bridge. Though it has a big fat wide neck it is very balanced and light.

I do want to find out what it weighs though.

10 Pounds may be pretty close.

I know the 51 Bass is almost identicle but does not have the Body Contours.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Good Idea. I fully understand scale calibration but hadnt thought about it.

13. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unfortunately, it's impossible that someone will come along that knows, other than by guessing – it's not just the body style, or the species of wood. Different pieces of the same kind of wood can have significant differences in weight. Some trees are just more dense than others.

For example, I've had alder-bodied Fender Jazz basses, with identical hardware, one that weighed just a hair over 8 pounds, and one that weighed over 10 pounds. Also, some necks are heavier than others, because just like the bodies, some maple necks are more dense than others.

The guesses in this thread are certainly very close, but they are only guesses. The only way to be sure is by weighing your actual bass. Even if another Sting bass owner weighs their own bass, it will not precisely have the same weight as your own.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I know what you mean. Due to too many years of playing a lot and using a heavy bass I no longer can play one.

The three or so Sting basses I tried were still too heavy for my shoulder and neck. I'd say between 9 to 11 lbs. That's too much for me for standing. The lightest solid body Fender sounding bass I've owned was my Carvin Bolt which I weighed at just 7 lbs. That was much better.

My alternative right now though is working out well. I'm using a folding stool to sit and no strap at all. It keeps me up in a decent upright position, my diaphragm isn't compressed so I can still sing, I can easily drop my bass into a stand next to me and the stool is light , well made enough to stand up, not wobbly and easy to carry around. It's sold by Ikea and is called the Franklin Bar Stool. Google it and see what you think.

Now I can play my 12 or so lb P bass without problems.

Even 10 lbs is a little much to put on your shoulder for any period of time. And if the bass is a neck diver it's even worse.

Proper left hand technique is also important to avoid strain on your neck and shoulder. Check out Carol Kaye's left hand technique for a method which will avoid any more injury and keep you playing.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Agreed but it will get me closer than I am now. These Basses are fairly consistent.

16. traynor1132

traynor1132

Dec 10, 2002
    new york
    You can take it to the post office and have it weighed ,hope you recover soon dude!

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sorry your having so much trouble dud. Wish you luck with this struggle. I am humbled for mine is temporary.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Not ready to leave the house for a week. Just wondering if someone that has one could weigh it for me?

19. Just because somebody has one just like yours doesn't mean it'll be the same weight. A friend of mine has a Sting bass and his weighs in around 10 lbs. But I know I've played a couple that didn't weigh that much.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    The one I have seems considerably light though notr sure without weighing it.

I would still like to see folks that own them post their weights,

What can it hurt? Is it that dang difficult?