Fender Studio Bass Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Derywyll, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Derywyll

Derywyll

Oct 10, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Hello! Well, this is my first time actually starting a forum, so excuse me if I do anything bad.
    Anyway, about a month ago, I was wondering around Guitar Center pricing out some bass half-stacks for my band (was actually about to buy an Acoustic B200H with B115 cab), when I stumbled into a Fender Studio Bass. Now, I have read about this, and I see that it is a valve-driven 200 Watt combo amp from the late 70's. It's got all these knobs and 2 inputs and it's all a little confusing to me. I also play guitar, and I like Fender for it's simplicity in amplifiers, so I bought this for my bass. For the past month, I've been fiddling with it, trying to get a real good sound out of it, a kind of crunchy and treble-like tone, much like how Mike Dirnt has his Bass amp set (I know he uses an Ampeg, but I can always get the closest sound possible). It has a volume, treble, middle, bass, presence, and an EQ on it. Honestly, I have no idea how to use this freakin' Equalizer! I've liked guitar for it's simple Treble, Middle, and Bass, and the occasional Contour.
    Can anyone give me some suggestions on how I should set up my amp to get a punkish sort of sound? I know that everyone says that you should just keep trying to get your own tone, but I always like to have a base to start with (and the manual doesn't give any suggestions to settings whatsoever). I'd like a punk sound that is reminiscent of, say, Green Day or Screeching Weasel.
    Thanks a ton to whoever helps me out! :D

P.S. Can anyone tell me how the EQ works? Like, when I turn the knob that has, say, 300 on it, what does that change?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    just start out as if it's a normal fender amp and set all of the rotary eq knobs in the middle (at zero). the rotary eq is just a graphic eq only it has knobs instead of sliders. then just boost or cut the frequencies that you like by turning the eq knobs clockwise or counter clockwise. you can also use a foot switch (plugs into the back to bypass the eq completely).

3. Derywyll

Derywyll

Oct 10, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the advice John! Will do :D

4. fenderdefender

fenderdefender

Jun 3, 2011
    JohnK is right my Fender Studio Bass didn't sound right until I put the eq settings on flat. 12 noon is flat or zero and you have + or - 5 from there.( counter-clockwise and clockwise respectively )
    Fender states in the owner's manual that you get maximum distortion from maxing the volume control ( far left knob) , then adjusting the output control (far right knob ) to taste.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021