Fender TB-600 vs Ashdown ABM 600RC-EVO IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beer&bass, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ashdown ABM-600RC-EVO IV 600W

66.7%
  2. Fender TB-600

33.3%
  3. Fender Bassman 500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GK 1001RB II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ampeg SVT 7 Pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    Found these two amps within my price range under $500. The Fender used and the Ashdown was a clearance. Trying to decide which to pull the trigger on. Anyone own or have used either of these? It would be played through an Ampeg SVT 410HE 500watt 8ohm cab. With a Fender Modern Player Telecaster and Jaguar Basses. Rock and metal is the style I play. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    svtb15 likes this.
  2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Id like to hear about the TB600 I own the TB1200. And it is a BEAST!!!!!!!

Aqualung60 and beer&bass like this.
  3. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    From what I’ve read the preamp is the same, just a different wattage power amp.

svtb15 likes this.
  4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I think that you are correct. The TB1200 is good at 2Ω too
    . I don't know if your 600 has the footswitch with Built in Tuner..
    I actually Love that feature. And its been dead on accurate for years now.
    My TB1200
    550 w @8 Ω
    800 w @ 4 Ω
    1200w @ 2 Ω

Even at 8Ω loud gigs i have never lit the CLIP light.. The amp is a powerhouse . I'm thinking the 600 is too.

I would like to know if the TB600 is about equal in volume as your Ashdown ABM 600

Lvjoebass and mpdd like this.
  5. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    I just reread my post. I guess I wasn’t clear. I haven’t purchased either one yet, but would like some insight on the two amps. Sorry for the confusion.

svtb15 likes this.
  6. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    My bad...

7. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    So the TB-1200 is a beast? That sounds promising. How’s the Overdrive channel?

8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    OD channel is OK.. Its not really my thing. But what is good is you can BLEND teh OD channel with the Normal channel.. Thats handy
    The ROOM BALANCE control has helped on many a gig that is too boomy or too bright.. .
    The BMT controls are OK. Its a typical Fender tone stack. Teh Alembic Preamp is also based on the fender tone stack but it has much more ability to control the EQ than teh TB1200.
    Its as if teh MID control does everything if turned up past 2 or 3 o'clock.. Its not teh best fender tone stack that i have played.
    Overall the amp sounds big and fat and mine gets real loud..
    I think the Ashdown will give you way more ability to EQ not only the whole spectrum but also make more deliberate adjustments,

smogg and beer&bass like this.
  9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    my 1200

22553359_606128376405348_5969753733984454225_o.jpg

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    I've had both the ashdown abm evo ii (which is the same amp with less eq sliders and no compression) and the fender on 2 ampeg 410 he's. The ashdown was hands down superior in every way for rock. Thick gooey gritty but articulate and very lively. Super easy to dial in great tone and presence. The fender had me ALWAYS fighting it. Much more baked in lows that were hard to dial out without getting weird eq holes in your tone. The vari-q seemed to always be fixing one problem while creating another. The overdrive grit from the abm seemed rich and natural. The fender seemed dark and wooly. The ashdown could cop the fender tone easily, but the fender couldn't replicate the ashdown.

Gerben, pcake, svtb15 and 1 other person like this.
  11. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I have to agree with all of that

beer&bass likes this.
  12. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    My vote goes for the Ashdown new at only $495 on clearance with the Ashdown warranty.

Edit: Plus as stated above, you can cop the Fender tone with the Ashdown. What's not to love. The Fender would be cool, but I would go Ashdown.

Dasgre0g, Lvjoebass, okcrum and 2 others like this.
  13. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    Great. Thanks for the replies. And about the Ashdown, does anyone know the power rating at 8 ohms? Every thing I’ve read only stated 600 watts @ 4 ohm, even in the online manual. Would it be safe to assume that it’s the same as the 4 ohm? Or is it always less?

14. The ABM 500 was 380W at 8 ohms, so you can probably pro rata for the ABM 600.

svtb15 and beer&bass like this.
  15. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Fender would come down in wattage equally at 8 ohm.

16. 100% agree. Never ever could get the sound I wanted out of a Fender amp. My opinion (and mine only) is that Fender makes great instruments but lack on the amp site. I play on an Ashdown 600 for over 10 years now, 2x10 and 1x15 cabs and it is superb. Owned a T.E. before this, and the owner of Ashdown is a former T.E. engineer. Still, how much I liked that beast of a Trace, the Ashdown is way more sophisticated and pronounced in its sound, clarity, bass boom and whatever! No doubt for me, I would instantaniously get the ABM.

svtb15 and beer&bass like this.
  17. Currently and happy user of Ashdown equipment... Voted for the Ashdown, so far, I have no reason to change and it's definately worth the time trying out.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  18. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I own a ABM 500 and I vote for it. I am also owner of a Rumble 100 V3 Combo that I like, but the Ashdown beats is easily. Never liked that (TB-600) era of Fender amps personally.

19. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    I do like the Overdrive option. How is the overdrive on the Ashdown? And what are your thoughts on the Fender Bassman 500?

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    It's not technically amp "overdrive" as much as preamp tube drive. As soon as it's engaged, even at lower settings, it thickens, warms and livens up the tone. As you increase it a nice touch sensitive grit develops. At the upper range it's a real nice driving edge to distortion. Full tilt it starts to thin your tone with hotter signals clipping out your lows.. but anywhere from 9 o'clock to 3 is great and very organic sounding. The amp takes pedals well too.

beer&bass likes this.