Fender Telecaster bass humbucker pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Straydogg, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    Where in the world can I find a pickup for a 1972 Telecaster bass? It has a single humbucker . Reverb has an original one for over $400. I'm not looking to spend that much. Is there an after market or Squire pickup that will fit and work good? B4lb4Q2kKGrHgoOKjEEjlLmY6sPBKeknY5F.jpg

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, Squier used to make a VM Bass with a wide range humbucker, but they’re hard to find.

The Fender Wide Range Humbucker for Bass is a very elusive pickup.

This company makes a wide range size pickup (B32), but it doesn’t have the chrome cover.
    Sentell Pickups bass guitar pickups

Good luck!

3. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks for that info. I'll email them and see what they can do for me. Looks like a good price too. :)

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Maybe get it rewound?

5. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    I don't have a pickup to rewind. Somewhere in it's life the pickup was removed and replaced with a Precision type. A butcher job was done on it. I want to get it back as close to original as I can and that leads to my pickup search. Didn't think it would be so hard to find a Fender pickup.:)

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh no...sorry.

I've seen Mustangs and Squiers with that pickup.

OH! Pickup, Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB, Chrome

7. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah, like Slater said above the originals are very hard to find. Modern ones will fit and look the same but are very different on the inside from the 1972 version.

Slater likes this.
  9. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    I've been finding that out during my research. I'm just not ready to spend $400+ on a pickup, used or new. lol Gonna keep searching. Appreciate all the help for sure. :thumbsup:

10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Squier TB101 is the modern version. As mentioned, it doesn't sound the same, but looks the part. It's 4 wire, so I did mine up with a series/parallel switch and love the results.

11. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    I contacted Sweetwater and they told me the reissue ones (Squier?) are discontinued and are hard to find. I may have to have one built. The search goes on...Thanks

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Drag. They are rather rare. Mine was stock in my Squier Precision TB, which I ended up with from a lucky score on C'sL a few years ago. I have seen the orphan Squier PU pop up from time to time on eBay or Reverb. Seems they were $65ish back before they became a commodity.
    That Sentell PU looks cool and would fit well. It might have more clarity being a lower resistance? That can be a good thing. I kind of prefer to run mine in parallel. Series is a super hot and dark tone.

13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Will a DiMarzio Model One fit that bass?
    (Does DiMarzio even still make the Model One?)

edit: Yes they do: Model One™ | DiMarzio

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    A Dimarzio Model One will have too-narrow pole piece spacing to work. A Will Power might be a better match, but the routing is different. A Model One is designed to sit in the route for a Gibson sidewinder/mudbucker pickup, which is a fairly square, deep route. The Model One is attached to the bass body at the four corners of the cover, which is wider than the pickup itself.

The Fender WRHB bass pickup is more like a giant PAF-style guitar humbucker with four mounting screws which either attach to the pickguard or to a trim ring (Starcaster bass for example). The baseplate of the pickup is wider than the pickup itself. A WRHB won't fit in a Gibson bass routed for a mudbucker without some serious re-routing. Conversely a Model One, mudbucker (etc) isn't quite as wide as the full footprint of a WRHB pickup.

The only WRHB replacement pickup I seriously considered was a Peavey T40 pickup.

I've sold two WRHB pickups before today. One was a reissue and one was a '70s original. I bought the '70s pickup for something like £40, cleaned it up and replaced the hookup cable, and sold it on for £80. From memory it sounded like a darker P bass pickup but was also slightly microphonic.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    There's a wide size Model One (Edit: there used to be, I thought, unless the Will Power now covers that). It won't look the same, though.

I had one in my Tele bass, put in by the previous owner, and it was a good pickup, and has four connectors, so flexible. I added series/parallel on a switch, although it could be done on a pot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  16. brashap

brashap

Feb 22, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Curtis Novak can make one I believe.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  17. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks guys. We found one on eBay. Original 70's. Got it for $243. Really didn't want to spend that much but at that price for an original.......Works and sounds great!

hieronymous and VernRumseyIsGod like this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Madre de Dios! I thought selling mine for £80 was pushing it!

19. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    I see them on Reverb for $400 and up. $243 not too bad. :bassist:

20. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Are they selling for $400 though?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021