Fender Telecaster bass humbucker pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Straydogg, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    Hah...not yet. One has been on there 5 months and the other 3 months....but they are hard to find. :laugh:

Axstar likes this.
  2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, $400 is a steep asking price. $2XX is a fair and solid selling price. It's a unique pickup and the new ones are not like the old ones tonally.

Straydogg likes this.
  3. Straydogg

Straydogg

Nov 19, 2009
    That's what I found out bigtone23. It's tough to find an old one. Just got lucky with the eBay one. I thought for sure it would sell for more.

bigtone23 likes this.
  4. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I found this body sticking out of a trash bin in my neighborhood last year. close to doing something with it

Attached Files:

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Surely it must be possible to get a custom pickup builder to reproduce one? At the very least the coils, if not the cover?

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nice find! Lots of pickup options with those routs.

I would assume the easy part would be the coils and cover. The CuNiFe magnet is the secret sauce with the original Wide Range Humbucker. I'm not a tone snob, but a proper sized, drop-in 4-wire humbucker wound to a similar strength/resistance/inductance/resonant peak and chrome cover with offset poles would be just fine.

matrok likes this.
  7. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I had a Squier VM version, but the pickup had already been replaced by a Model One, so I've never experienced the original tone as the Fender version is uncommon in the UK, and I never bothered to try an unmodified vintage modified (now there's a phrase).

8. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

Nov 13, 2008
    Vacaville CA
    You can find original used Gibson EBO-EB3 "mudbuckers" on Ebay.

9. craigfort

craigfort

Jun 23, 2020
    Hello! I wanted to bump this up in case their is new information. I am currently looking for a wide range Neck humbucker pickup for a 70s style tele bass I’m building. I can only find 2 on eBay but they are both over 400. I’m not worried about looks as much as sound, but I’d prefer not to go over $250-300 or less if possible. Any suggestions appreciated!

10. brashap

brashap

Feb 22, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Check with Curtis Novak.

craigfort likes this.
  11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I had a Squier TB with the original pickup replaced with a Model One. The spacing is narrower, but the sound was fine. But if I was doing it from scratch I'd aim for the correct spacing, and I would have preferred the wide range pickup.

12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I've seen clones for well under $200.

13. craigfort

craigfort

Jun 23, 2020
    Cool. Where??

14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Unfortunately, no idea as it's not something I was that interested in after I sold that bass.

15. What pickup pairs well with the WRHB? i own a squier telecaster bass special that has a WRHB at the neck and a Jazz Duncan Designed at the bridge. I want to try a different configuration on my next bass project and i just bought two WRHBs. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

16. craigfort

craigfort

Jun 23, 2020
    EBA83C3F-9F15-4F5F-A410-728E07E2FFE5.jpeg 01DCD778-08B6-4562-B5F6-B261F6AFE671.jpeg 97625A7D-46EA-4B70-B10E-45263E41DB79.jpeg
    Nice! Where’d you get those two at and how much were they? Finishing the body up on mine now

17. From a seller on Reverb, he was selling a disassembled Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass. That model has 2 WRHBs. He agreed to sell me the pickups separately $90 a piece.

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
  19. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
  20. You could contact Rosser Guitars, he has a eBay store and Facebook page. The guy 20210224_211738.jpg makes great quality guitar and bass bodies with custom pickup routing. Don't know if he routes WRHBs, but its worth a try. He recently did this ash body for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021