Fender Telecaster Shaped Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artimus667, Aug 2, 2019.

1. artimus667

artimus667 Doh!

Nov 3, 2008
    Seattle
    If memory serves, not too far back, Fender made a short scale bass with a Telecaster body. As in a Telecaster guitar body. Am I right or did I dream this? If I’m correct, does anybody know what it was called and if it was any good? Or better yet does anyone have one? Thanks!

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    You probably mean the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster bass. It was 32 inch medium scale and was available with two different pickup configurations.

Google will find it for you.

HaphAsSard and Volker Kirstein like this.
  3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Medium scale (32") actually. Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass (standard and Special).
    This is, I think, the main discussion thread from back when they appeared (mid 2012):
    NEW Squier Telecaster Bass!
    Of course there are many more which would come up in a search.

BassmanM likes this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    By the way, calling them "Esquire Bass" would make unambiguously clear that the shape is that of the single-cutaway Tele guitar, as opposed to the historical Telecaster Bass (=late '60s reissue of the '51 single-coil Precision, or the later mudbucker version).

OTOH, I guess people would take issue with a double pickup version being called an Esquire; plus, "Squier Esquire" is always "heh"-inducing.
    (Well, they do exist in guitar-dom, but they put a bunch of "classic Vibe, Limited Edition" straw padding between the two words to mitigate the effect...)

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008

6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Um, come again?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021