1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Vintage Hot Rod 60's Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noeinstein, Jan 5, 2019.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Can anyone tell me whether the jazz pickup on this bass has 60s (or 70s) spacing?

2. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    Since it was never a factory offering up until probably this particular model it would be hard to say without seeing the exact measurements between the split P pickup and the J pickup. And "60's spacing" really refers to a Jazz Bass pre or post 1969. And ultimately, it was only about a quarter inch to 3/8 of an inch difference between a 1969 J Bass and a 1970 J Bass. And the generally accepted myth is that the factory decided to shift the J neck position pickup back a quarter inch to hide it completely under the bridge cover - on pre-1970 models you could always see the two black pickup cover moulded halfrounds and the screw heads poking out from the open end of the bridge cover. So it's a miniscule change, hard to pick sonically, (tho many will swear they can tell the sound difference just by hearing a 60's J versus a 70's J, but until someone sets up a double-blind test and proves this I don't believe it - I'd be more inclined to believe they are hearing different values and types of capacitor - which varied regularly in the late 60's through to mid 70's, and can have a significant tonal effect on the sound. Many of the .05-installed caps on a Jazz Bass will make it sound darker, whereas a 0.022 which were regularly installed in the pre-70 J basses give the bass a slightly brighter, honky tone, particularly when the bridge pickup is soloed. Add to this that many J basses had poly 0.022 caps in them which sound even more bright than a ceramic or the common dark blue wax 0.022 cylinders seen on a lot of 1968/69 J Basses) and I have seen many examples of J Basses post 1970 where the bridge is actually set a quarter inch further BACK from the bridge pickup - as it appears there may have been a consensus amongst the set-up staff at the factory around that time that certain Jazz and Precision Basses were not intonating properly - particularly on the G string - hence a slight shift of the bridge south and a longer intonating screw on the G. This practice seemed to disappear by mid to late 70's however.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021