Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tkarter, Dec 1, 2003.

1. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I and all the bass players that I consider my mentors play Fender Basses and most of them don't want anything else.

I currently play a MIM Jazz and like it alot but I am wondering is Fender a good choice when I move to the 5 string?

tk

2. Take it from me, I own and play about 15 Fender basses, 4's and 5's.

I would not purchase another Fender 5.

If you like the look and feel of Fender, go with a Sadowsky 5. They are the closest to Fender in sound, playability and you get a more modern tone too.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say hands down the Roscoe Beck Artist Series V

4. antipop

antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    I *heard* that the 5-string american deluxe pbass sounds great. I wouldn't be too suprised just because of the sound of the bass...it's incredible imo and it sortof would go well with a 5th string

5. No personal experience - I play fours - BUT, the Fender Roscoe Beck V seems to be held in pretty high regards in these forums.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks for the info. Given the fact there is little choice in this area for a bass other than Fendor or Ibanez I will play plenty for a long time before I buy.

I do get along really well with my 4 string but want to get to the lower B.

The only 5 string I ever played was a Dean and I forget what model it was sounded good and played well just seemed to to be priced like an entry level bass. So I figure it was just that.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Roscoe Beck V is the only decent Fender 5 string, IMO.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a USA Standard Jazz bass V and it plays and sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My MIM Deluxe Active J5 is a great bass. I toyed with the idea of getting a MIA J5 (GC had a brand new sunburst instrument for only $600 at a special sale) because it seemed to sustain a little better...but in the end, I decided to stay with the MIM.

Just a few months ago, the opportunity arose to buy a parts bass from luthier Karl Hoyt. The 5 string, 35 in. scale neck was made for me by Karl, the natural finished ash Jazz body came from Warmoth. It's nearly perfect...plays like a dream, sounds great, sustains for days...a joy to own...it looks good, plays well, even smells good!

I still think the MIM is a great bass, especially for the money.

10. i tried the dean edge in a shop..so i dont know what amp they had me through..ashdown probably
    the sound was ok the neck was fine but the styling was not to my taste..
    :)

a man who kicks dogs and hates children cant be all that bad...W.C.F

keep your eye on the ball... W.C.F. :D

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I also have this bass along with the Sadowsky outboard preamp,and it has a "hellacious" tone.I find it funny when people say if you want that good FENDER sound buy this,and buy that and blah blah blah.....Please.:rolleyes:

12. If you can afford it, and you want a fender style bass, I would go for a sadowsky, or a lull. I don't know what it is, but I hate fender :) . If you can afford it, sadowsky, and lull blow them out of the water. Check out Lakland also if you can afford it. Its like the offspring of a j bass and a stingray. 2 wrongs do make a right! I am buying a Lakland this spring.

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Since your comeing up from a MIM Fender I'd go with a used G&L L-2500. More likely in your price range than a Sadowsky and even more versitile.:)

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like the Fender 4's I have a jazz deluxe, but I don't like the 5's at all. I play a Spector Rebop 5 string.

15. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    When Fender goes to a 35" scale on their 5's, I'm in. Til then, I'm out... Sadowsky.
    Peace,
    Fo

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd love to get my hands on an RB5, but I definately see myself playing Fender and Ernie Ball 4's and 5's later in life. I'd ask for one for Christmas but I'm getting an upright bass :)

Sorry, still a bit excited about the bass!

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

When you're ready for a 5, you can save alot of time, $, and energy. Buy a Sadowsky first!! You'll be done and can concentrate on practicing and gigging:D

Rob

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From my experience, fender 5 strings have crappy B strings.

19. Call me a punk or whatever, but I've never cared for fenders.

They feel bulky and I can't seem to appreciate the tone. Even the active J's sound pretty bland, IMO.

With a few exceptions, of course. I mean, I can't deny that Jamerson and Jaco got wonderful tone out of their fenders... But they've never worked for me.

20. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks all. I love my MIM Jazz and not only do I love the sound my band mates appreciates it as well. Been playing only a year transferred from Rythm guitarist to the bass. Love the bass got some acoustic guitars for sale. I sold my three Strats.

I will save up for the Sadowsky. I may play the Fender 5's some and see what I think but I am pretty sure I heard enough Sandowsky's here to convince me.

For those that think Fenders aren't the bass I don't know what to say. I have seen more of them than I have any other. Maybe that is why I don't know.

Any way I do thank all of you for your input it helped my feeble mind make a decision.

Thanks

tk