Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fernandes basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaMaGe, Inc., Feb 3, 2005.

1. So, I'm still thinking about what my next bass is going to be. I'm looking for a 5-string. I know Robert Trujillo also plays Fernandes Gravity 5 Deluxe basses, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

I've done a search, and found out it should be about $600 new, so that's in my price range. I don't know of any stores anywhere near who sell Fernandes, so I can't really try one out myself and I don't know if it would be very wise to buy one when I've never played one.

The neck doesn't seem to fat, wich I like. According to the site it has an Alder body, wich is also very nice because I like it light. :) The only thing I'd still like to know if the 5-string has a 34" or 35" scale neck? I have small hands, wich doesn't have to be a huge problem with 35" scales, but I just feel more comfortable on 34".

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to have a Gravity 5, and they are great basses. The scale is 34". The neck is comfortable and it leans toward the thin side. The electronics are nice, but can be noisy at times. The string spacing is a little tight, but some people like it that way.

In terms of feel, I would compare it to a Fender Jazz 5. In terms of sound, it's hotter and more modern sounding.

3. Allright, thnx for that info. 34" scale, nice! Don't mind tight string spacing at all so that's no problem. How's the Low B?
    Btw, what do you mean with noisy?

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Low B is not as tight as my Lakland 35" scale, but it ain't floppy either. At least on the one I owned, it could be tighter.

What I mean by noisy is the hiss you'll hear when you crank the treble a bit much.

5. Primus_rocks

Primus_rocks

Jan 26, 2005
    I dunno about the one you`re lookin at but i can tell you that i love my Fernandes retrospect 5x(jazz bass model) and although the pickups do hiss a bit (just enough in my opinion) they sound awesome. i also play a MM stingray and although they are defenitly not comparable basses, I enjoy playing my fernandes as much as i do my musicman.

anywas just my 2 cents on that !

6. Ok, thanks for the info duders. :)

7. Silk

Silk

Feb 16, 2006
    Hello Primus,

I know that s an old thread but ... any pics or review of your Fernandes Retrospect anywhere ?

Thanks.