1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FERNDER JAZZ OR PRECISION

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luiscarlos21, Mar 15, 2008.

1. luiscarlos21

luiscarlos21

Mar 15, 2008
    I'm not a very experienced bass player, but I know I like a very loud, a liiiittle distorted but round and full sound to my bass, which bass is the one for me?

2. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    first off it fender you mean yeh? why are you only looking there? or have you narrowed it down?

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you're only limiting it to Fender, then it's a P-bass you want.

However, look at other manufacturers too, like Ernie Ball Music Man.

4. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Jazzes are cool too - look at your favorite bass players, and see what they play. What sounds best? Try them both out - which do you like the best?

5. If you're doing rock and want something round.... Precision all the way...

6. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    If you do rock you can still be satisfied with the tone of a Jazz. Especially with certain string and pickup combinations. You can get a round,thick tone with a Jazz that's more focused and punchy than a Precision and you may find you prefer that. Such as early Led Zeppelin John Paul Jones bass tone. You got to just get your hands on a few Precisions and a few Jazzes and see what you like.

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Lots of early rock and lots of modern rock has been done on Jazzes, and precisions too. You can't go wrong either way, just figure out which *you* like best.

8. LOL @ FERNDER

i reckon get a lakland 55-02 or sadowsky jazz

9. Can't go wrong with either, try both, see what you prefer.

Lots of differences, neck, body, PUPs, but both will do what you want to do well.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get both.

11. rduckwor

rduckwor Nashville Cat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    L.A. - Lower Alabama
    +1. You will eventually need both if you continue. You don't have to break the bank to do it either. Lak or Sadowsky will cost you an arm and leg.

12. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    go for a pj with a jazz neck. body shape don't matter to much, although i kinda like the j shape

13. luiscarlos21

luiscarlos21

Mar 15, 2008
    Let me know for alternative brands, I dont wanna go for a fender just because its a fender

14. luiscarlos21

luiscarlos21

Mar 15, 2008
    Why is that, any special reason? because rock is what I want to do...

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    BOTH!!:bassist:

16. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    It would be a Precision for me, but don't rule out the Musicman Stingray

17. get the P bass by FAR,, Musicman stingray yeah but its expensive I have both but my hot-rodded P though my 400+ is a sound that cannot be described...

jazz is nice but you need a nice amp to make these shine in heavy music I think,, the one I had couldn't break through too much without having too much stage volume,, the P-bass you will feel and hear those pingy harmonics coming out.

18. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    jazz necks are slimmer. also a p with a bridge j, will have everything of a p, plus a little j caricteristics. go with a p neck if u like bigger necks

19. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I like fern's, der pretty cool plants!

20. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    This question reminds me of the beginning guitarist who claimed to have mastered the instrument because he "knew all 5 chords!"

Just as a suggestion, within this price range you might want to look at a Yamaha Fenderbass, or maybe a Schecter Fenderbass. There are some really really excellent Fenderbasses out there priced very reasonably for what you get.