1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Festival rig

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Deltatim, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    This Thumper rigged up for Saturdays jamming at the CBA Fall Campout in Lodi Ca.
    A folding luggage cart, a block of foam under, a packing blanket to pritect from scuffs...wheels are a bit small, but the pavement there is not too bad. Now I need to scrounge up a lite folding chair I can sling on my back. 20191016_165641.jpg

SteveA likes this.
  2. Looking good! Have fun in Lodi

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    We're heading to the SouthWest Bluegrass Association campout this weekend in Mojave Narrows. I have a functionally similar double bass setup, but we're also bringing banjo, mandolin and guitar. We have a modest RV that we use for festivals and campouts.

Depending on the evening temperatures there in Lodi, you might also want to have a personal propane heater along... It can make a huge difference in those late night jams.

Safe travels and have a great time!!!

4. Bluetick

Bluetick

Oct 16, 2019
    Buzzard Hill, AL
    Just don't get stuck there (Lodi).

MrLenny1, Deltatim and 210superair like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I need to make something like this for next summer. I'm thinking an old golf bag carrier and some straps.....yours looks good tho, well done.

6. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Again....

7. Oh Lord

8. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    Had a blast yesterday at Lodi featival...played my fingers off..got to compare my midcentry germanic noname to a couple Kays and a ply Shen. Very comparable. The Shen had Eurosonics which I foy d I liked the feel of. I may try some after I get a new setup done. The Spiro lights do the job.

210superair likes this.
  9. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    We also just returned from our bluegrass association campout... Great time visiting and jamming. There were about 40 RVs present, around 80 people including about 50 jammers. This was in the Southern California high desert (Mojave Narrows). Beautiful weather with moderate temperatures and very mild winds, but cold (~40F) at night.

My wife and I aren't very cold tolerant anymore; we bring personal heaters because of this. A few people brought large enclosed easy-ups and big heaters which really helped the night jams.

There were at least 6 double bassists present, so I was glad I could play other instruments. I played banjo for a few jams and got to work on my mandolin technique a whole lot.

High points for me were playing DB (as the only guy) for a "girls' jam" that randomly formed (nicknamed "The Bluesy Floosies"), and playing DB with a couple of old-jazz/swing jams that started up.

My DB wheels for this trip were my Bass Buggy. I have a very heavy-duty wooden, somewhat padded pneumatic-tire cart for the bass in mixed terrain, but it scratches the finish in some places, so I have to make some changes on it before I'll use it again with my bass. The light and diminutive Bass Buggy did remarkably well in this mixed terrain; I've also added foam padding for under the bass which helps absorb bumps a lot.

The biggest problem in this setting is the fine desert dirt, which gets everywhere. I'll be cleaning instruments all day today. And of course there's a fine coat of this fine dirt everywhere in and on the RV. Oh well, gotta pay one way or the other.

210superair likes this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Nice rig. Beats carrying it like I use to do for 12-14
    blocks distance in Boston.