1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Few amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassybobby, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bassybobby

bassybobby

Apr 28, 2010
    Hey all, after some lurking around the forums, I decided to register and ask a few questions. Sorry for the long, terribly nooby post.

I just received my aguilar DB410 / AG500SC, and was just curious on a few things..

I play a fender jazz (-10db switch? a passive JB isnt a high output instrument.. right?), and am aware that buzzing is normal, but, how do you know if there's too much buzzing? I feel like the buzz is just too loud or something.

I've been seeing Hum Eliminators (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=hum&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go) but have no clue if they're safe, or how well they work.

Also, I have 2 cables, ones a mogami gold, and ones a monster standard.. If im running a TU2, and big muff, which should I run from the amp to the first pedal, and which should I run from the Pedal to the bass?

Lastly, does anyone know a good site that explains tone settings or something? I'm terrible with dialing in the tone in my head, and have never been happy with the tone I've received. (The AG500 has Gain, Treble, High Mid, Low Mid, Bass, Deep, and Bright Buttons, and a Tweeter dial). Thanks in advance and sorry for all the noobness!

2. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure some gear-daddies will chime in shortly, but since no one has yet, I'll give you my 2 cents.

Your Jazz Bass is passive, so the -10db pad should not be used.

Buzzing is common with single-coil pickups. Your bass shouldn't buzz at all, though, if both pickups are turned up all the way. If it does buzz with both pickups pegged, you may have a shielding (as in a lack thereof) issue or a pickup wiring problem.

I'm not familiar with your amp, but from what I've read and from my experience with other Aguilar amps, Aguilars sound great with the eq knobs set flat, or at 12 o'clock. I would start there with the Deep and Bright switches off. You shouldn't have to stray too far from that, but adjust eq and engage Deep and Bright to taste.

Regarding your pedals, I would plug the bass into the tuner, the tuner into the Muff and the Muff into the amp. Try it both ways (I'm sure you have already) and listen for any discernable difference in volume. Go with the louder configuration.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: I was thinking TU-3, the pedal tuner. What is TU-2? Do you mean TU12? If you meant TU-12, I would plug that into the Tuner Out jack of your amp (surely the AG has one).