Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fima Ephron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chimp, Dec 12, 2004.

1. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
  2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    these dudes are the real deal. fima and gene lake really get the groove on.

a buddy of mine just bought the DVD, but is waiting for it to come in :) :(

3. CHECK OUT HIS SOLO CD:

Soul Machine

It's Really good!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i saw it in my cd shop awhile back i was pretty impressed its alot more subdued than the SHT stuff but i realy got into it! i would love that dvd looks like its gonna be a good one.

fima lays down so nice layed back solos they were my first solos that i realy enjoyed hes keeps laying down good grooves the man is incredible!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would not call Soul Machine 'more subdued' than the SHT; it's is different, to be sure. It is worth having!
    If you like the Klezmer-Jazz-Funk of Soul's Machine, check out one of Fima's other projects, The Hasidic New Wave(also with 'Fuse').

Lost Tribe, which sounds like Downtown meets M-BASE, is another Fima project worth looking into.

6. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    cool ill check those out i think i got lost tribe mixed up with soul machine if lost tribe is the mellow one and soul machine the not so mellow. Good to see so many people into this stuff!

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nAH...... never heard of him at all..... :D

Fima is the bomb and one of the coolest cats out there... Soul Machine is a great album!

http://fimamusic.com/

***I have been listening to SHT and HT's for a while and I have to thank JimK for turning me on to Hasidic New Wave and Lost Tribe...

8. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Hopefully i will get to listen to this stuff soon but it not easy to find his stuff in south africa! Deffiantly going to get the new SHT and will look out for sould machine and Hasidic new wave

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Why not just get what you can through Lian (on the site). I know that they have a bunch of international customers, so I bet it wouldn't be a problem to get what you want.

I know that there are some Fuze disc's on : http://www.audiophileimports.com

I bet there are other's that Fima is on as well, plus the search function allows to search by personel that is on a given album... not just the headliner.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Fima's one of my favorite players of the last fifteen years, I usually buy almost anything with him on it :bassist:
    I just love his concept on bass.....same with Fuze on guitar!

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Same here, and looking constantly...

It is cool that his site has a discography with a few of the CD's linked.

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Only time I saw the Torsos live it was in Buenos Aires with Patrice Blanchard (whom I had the pleasure of hanging with after the show). I really love Fima's work with SHT.

ANDRUCA

13. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Are there any other bands out there with a sound like this that doesnt involve 'Fuze' in it?

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A couple of other things I really like...somewhat in the same league as SHT-

The Music Revelation Ensemble(w/ "Blood" Ulmer)
    In The Name Of... & Elec Jazz are probably my favourites from them.
    ...also, "Blood" Ulmer's Black Rock.

Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society
    I have What Spirit Say.

Sonny Sharrock-
    Rock The Ages & Seize The Rainbow

Some of Vernon Reid's "Free Funk/Jazz" thingees.
    Or Defunkt.

A band that I just recently got hooked upon is John Zorn's Naked City...what took me so long?! Anyway, Radio is pretty frantic; same, too, for Naked City & Electric Masada.

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah there are a few David Torn albums out there that have a similar vibe... Masada, Bar Kochba and Gamepieces from Zorn. Naked City is a bit of some crazy stuff; noisey and lovely!

RE: "Blood" Ulmer's Black Rock, watch out that's a pretty smoking album!!!

I need to get more into Sharrock.

Is Defunct still around, seriously... :D There was a female bassist with them for a while that was pretty good.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    ''Ask the Ages' is one of my 'desert island' discs! Not sure whether it is OOP, but I know that it is increasingly difficult to find. www.dtmgallery.com is the place to go for Sharrock and other jazz/rock/avant stuff.

I've been looking the Last Exit albums on CD for some time now - if anyone knows of any shop with any in stock, let me know.

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Downtown Music Gallery rocks!!! That is where I tend to find most of the Tzadik that I have been looking for.

B'tween Audiophile Import and DTMG, there is a wealth of amzing hard-to-find music!!!

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The chick bassist from Defunkt was Kim Clarke. She definitely had the funk :bassist: I have her on a few other projects as well, and she always kicks ass. She wasn't on the last few Defunkt albums though :(

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    www.dustygroove.com out of Chicago has a TON of great hard-to-find R&B & Chicago Avant/Free Jazz selections.

DMG is putting me in the Poor House.
    I just bought Defunkt's Heroes from DMG.

20. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    well i just got the new SHT cd SIGNED BY FUZE! its pretty cool im enjoying it i feel like its a lil more laid back then my older cd but still funky and a groove that hits you so hard. the DVD is out of stock so gonna have to wait a lil longer for that and then one totaly off topic piece of info my new weather report dvd should be here soon aswell so gonna have plenty to keep me happy and get me trying new stuff.