Built a jazz partsbass a few years ago. GFS royal pawlonia red burst body, Mighty Mite bass neck, 18V Bartolini pups, concentric knobs so I could get the 4 pots needed without having to decide where and how to mount #4, Fender WBW MIA PG and Fender and misc. HW. Yesterday I took the strings off the bass, took the tuners and tree off the headstock and gave it some coats of tung oil. First coat really highlighted the grain, but considering the neck was still almost white it didn't take much. Did 6 coats, waiting 10+ minutes between them then buffed with a dry rag. Looks wise I'm satisfied. Didn't want to go too dark as it might continue to yellow. If it doesn't I can always add more coats, but it would be hard to get it lighter. The only thing is the neck is super tacky right now. Hoping it'll dry, since the neck (while looking like crap) was really fast. Tonight I gave it another buff with the dry rag and attempted to put the strings back on. As I was tightening the D it snapped. Don't keep extra sets on hand since they last a decent amount of time and they're a little expensive. So I ordered my regular brand but in a slightly different flavor. DR Lo Riders in a heavier gauge than what I'd been using. Before I was playing mediums, and the open E felt a little floppy.