1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally got a V-4!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitespike, Apr 9, 2009.

1. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Today I got a V-4. It's not a V-4B so it has the reverb. I am assuming they sound the same... This thing sounds so awesome, I can't believe it! It is so much more alive sounding than my Eden. I am really happy with it. It also seems really loud, which I was worried about.

I only have an Ampeg CLassic 210 as of now. I used to have two, but with my Eden WT400 I actually preferred one.

I guess I am going to try and find a vintage v-4 cab. It's so annoying that the new cabs are slightly smaller in width. I had an SVT once with a 410HLF and don't remember this being the case! But the V-4 is about 2.5 inches wider than my Ampeg cab.

What V-4 cab should I be looking for? What kind of variations are there? Are all of them suitable for bass?

Lastly, the only downside to this amp cosmetically is the grill cloth was changed out and where some lettering rubbed off someone write it "Volume" and the numbers in pen. Any way to get this off?

I am guessing this is early 70s ... as that is what the owner said. It has the large Ampeg logo to the left.

2. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  5. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No one has the 1510?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm not sure why it's only rated for 200 watts, probably has to do with the driver choice, but I'm sure that will be fine to handle the V4. That cab reminds me of an SWR triad without the horn. I like it.

7. When I had my 70s V4B I used it with a pretty efficient ported 2x15 cab. I did not like it with my NV425 but YMMV.

8. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    while i have not played one live, i am amazed that some people say this thing isn't loud enough. they must be plaing some bg shows! This thing is LOUD!

9. Depending on the type of music you play yes it can not be enough......that's why I no longer own mine.

10. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    We must not be that loud. FOr years I have run an Eden WT400 into an 8 ohm Ampeg 210 cab only. Making ti about 230 watts. Plenty for me ... but we are more Beatles than ACDC...

11. yeah, my drummer is painfully loud so it wasn't enough. great tone though.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Sunn 200s with k (orD) 140's worked well with a V4B head. I oaded it with CTS 15G54B's but it took some effort because of the square magnet.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R

13. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Um, ACDC isn't loud...:rollno:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You've obviously never been to their concerts...either that or you're being funny ;)

15. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    ACDC is loud as piss, brother!

I am scheduled to buy the V4 412 cab tomorrow! I hope I like it, bc I can't try it first we are meeting in the middle an hour away.

SO, this cab is for guitar I think, as is my V-4 .... should I be concerned or are all V-4 cabs created equally?

16. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I also am curious how to tell the year. The Ampeg as the big logo plate on one side. Look like some I've seen have a master volume and a weird midrange selector switch?

Mine just has two volumes for each channel, bass, mid, treble, and reverb. Also, the on and standby switch are not white plastic, they are metal switches...

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can only guess for 70's models unless you pull the preamp out and look at the pots for date codes.

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The non-master volume models are approximately 70-75ish, but as Jimmy said, you can only tell by the date codes on the parts, as there is no record of the serial numbers.

19. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Are master volume ones later than 75?