Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally moving out.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 11, 2006.

1. April first I'll finally be out of my parents houses and I'll be on my own with a couple friends. So far I'm stoked for it, but unfortunately due to a rough Febuary I'm near broke and need 900 bucks by the first of April.

So, any suggestions as to how I can do it? I'm trying to sell my Geddy J for 600 and then my regular wage would cover the rest and my tax return that'll show up mid April will level me off nicely. So if I sell this bass I think I'll be alright, but if I can't sell it I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Any helpful hints?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
  3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good luck getting your money, but just know that the expenses don't go away and will probably be a lot more than you're used it. Ask me how I know. ;)

4. I'm pretty close to looking for another job. But this first payment is a boot in the derriere.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why do you need such a big initial investment? I'm assuming it's the security deposit and first months rent, but the deposit isn't usually more than $300. Considering you'll be splitting the deposit and the rent between a couple of guys, I guess I'm just not seeing why you need $900.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put off the moving out until you have more money in the bank. Moving out broke is never a good idea.

-Mike

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bing!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best starting out.:)

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    From what I noticed, is that most places require first and last months rent plus a security deposit which is around the amount of rent for one month. My apartment, which has rent of $325 a month, had a $975 deposit. For this area, $325 a month for a studio is quite cheap. As most studios around here are at least $500 a month.

10. Alright, according to my roomates who have met the landlord there, there stands to be a good chance that he'll take it easy on me and pay last rent next month when I have money.

That and the other 4 roomates have all said they will help in any way they can.

So I should be all set. I also hope I can do this without being a huge burden on four other people and still keep my Geddy.

Only time will tell...

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Uh-huh. It won't be charity. They'll want it back someday. Real quick way to ruin friendships is to move in with your buddies, and be bumming money for rent, the phone bill, groceries, etc. Everyone has their breaking point on loaning money. Same goes for the landlord. He'll be easy on you to get you in the place. He's going to want that money. If you don't have it right now, what makes you think you can save it up while you try to maintain the increasing bills you are going to accumulate on your own?

I'm tellin' ya bro, this just sounds bad. Hopefully I am wrong.

-Mike

13. This situation is only a problem for this month. After I get my taxes back I'll be all set.

I make enough to cover the rent, utilities, some food and my car. Its just right now I don't have enough for first/last rent, damage deposit and a car payment. But like I said, once my taxes come back I'll be a-ok.

14. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    4 roommates?? That can't end good.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist: