Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding a Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Evilash, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    I"m looking for a good fuzz pedal. Right now I'm torn between a[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frantone Lo-Tone Classic Fuzz, Woolly Mammoth, or one of those new Chunk Systems Black Dogs. Any one got any advice.

I know the Black Dog isn't out yet, but what about the Mammoth or the Frantone? Thanks.
    [/font]

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    All the pedals you mentioned are top notch. I think the chunk systems pedal is called the brown dog. Those look excellent...I'm definitely interested in checking one out. It has individual levels for clean and dirty, Thats a great feature.

I don't know much about the frantone, but it looks cool.

I have a Woolly Mammoth, and it is one hell of a fuzz pedal. It is very intense and unique sounding. It preserves the low-end extremely well. I think its incredible. The price tag is high, but worth it f you want insane, prehistoric, face melting fuzz. One thing I wish it had is a blend like the brown dog...Thats a pretty usefull feature. Right now I'm looking for a fuzz/distortion thats not quite as insane as the mammoth. I might check out that frantone.
    woolly mammoth

3. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    yea you're right it is brown dog. my mistake.

Thanks for the info about the Mammoth. I"ve been leaning more towards that. But I really would like to try out a frantone first. Just to cover all the bases. And the fact its cheaper doesn't hurt either.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you play mostly active or passive basses?
    There are many excellent fuzz pedals, unfortunately the subset of those that play nicely with active basses is a small one. The chunk is one of those that does - I haven't played the new one, cos it isn't out yet ;), the prior version was fine but lacked character in the sound and the lack of a tone control was annoying. The new version still doesn't have a tone control, but the mode switch should hopefully help make it more versatile.
    The woolly mammmoth is a pretty extreme fuzz, as previously noted. It doesn't sound so good with active basses IME.
    The frantone is a good fuzz - there are actually two versions. The older green one was a bit more extreme sounding, the newer cream one is warmer.