Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding an instructor

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by midwinter, Jan 30, 2004.

1. midwinter

midwinter

Jan 30, 2004
    Hi guys :) I'm brand new to the forums, so please forgive me if I'm asking something that's been covered before. I did a few searches of old forum topics and didn't quitefind what I'm looking for.
    I'm in Tucson, Arizona and am trying to find someone who offers bass lessons, but haven't had any luck. I don't know any players, so I can't ask anyone "in the know", and internet searches and the phone book have been spectacularly un-helpful. The only person I've met, so far, who offered lessons, was the guy who sold me the bass (in a chain store), but he scoffed at all the bands I like, so I didn't think he'd be too helpful at pointing me in the right direction :meh:

I'm familiar with basic theory, and can read sheet music (well, treble clef, but I'm working on re-training myself),but I need someone who can give me specific drills and give me educated feedback on my technique. I'm having an awful time learning from books because of the abject lack of feedback.

So - any suggestions on how to find a local instructor? :help:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, first off you want to ask as many people as you can, if you go to see a show, talk to the bassist afterwards, he might be available to give you a lesson or two, or he might have a friend that is.

Music stores are a good place to look, as they usually offer private instruction.

a lot of guitar plays double on teaching bass, while this may not be very great, it's a start, and it might help you a little, as well, he might know some people too.

If there aren't many music stores around your area, make the trek to one, even if you find a guy that is kind of out of your way, it may still be valuable even if it's only for an hour a week or something.

oh yeah, welcome to talkbass scott ;)