1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger-ease

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I just used it for the first time. Works well.

I am curious if anyone uses it, and if anyone has used it on a satin finish and what happened.

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    They still make it ?

I got a can when I first started to play . I found that as I started playing more the less I used it . Only bought the one can . Never finished it off . This would have been back around 1965 or so ...

Back then cheap instruments were generally awful things . Mine certainly was ...

3. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    or you could eat some fried chicken.....works just as well ;)

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Hate it. It never goes away!

5. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I used it when I first started...then 2 things happened:
    1. I became a fan of the "Squire, Entwistle, Sheehan" school of a little finger noise and grit can be a good thing and give your tone some character
    2. I convinced myself that it was making my strings deader faster (being much older and wiser :rolleyes:, I realize this was probably not true, but I still subscribe to the first point, plus for me, the abrasiveness of the strings adds to the visceral impact I get from playing).
    To each their own though!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm sure it does. You're basically spraying stuff all over your strings, which can attract dirt and all kinds of crap that gets stuck in the windings.

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I use it on occasion. I have used it in recording where I had a distinct little slide part that I wanted to punctuate consistently, the Finger-Ease let me do that with a little less effort.

I use Elixirs, they're coated so I don't notice them "going dead" any faster with Finger-Ease than hust regular hand perspiration would cause. Maybe less.

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I used the stuff for a while in the '70s, then tried it again one time, a few years ago. Can't say it's something I need, either for finger comfort or for controlling finger noise when playing.

I didn't (and don't) like the idea of spraying stuff all over the fingerboard. And I've found that picking up some plain ol' skin oil from behind my ear or the top of my bald head (see avatar...) works as well. IOW, I lube my fingertips (fretting and plucking) instead of the string. A guitar player I worked with years ago showed me that trick.

I'm using EB Cobalts, too, which are fairly rough to the touch. Skin oil does the trick for me, plus careful attention to muting technique.

9. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I had a can for about 20 years
    before I figured out that there
    wasn't anything in it, STUPIDdog.

Tabdog

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've used it since a can came with my new Olympic White/Tort Pickguard April 1966 Fender Precision Bass. I've used it ever since on countless basses and guitars. Spray on neck and strings for easier movement on both sides of the neck, especially on those sweaty days, but really anytime I don't want to be slowed by sticking hands and fingers. By a long ago article, I put a good coat of it on new strings when installed. Keeps them slick and more resistant to corroission, particularly the round wounds. I've not noticed any less or any more finger noise when using it. I think that's somewhat more related to playing style. I wouldn't spray it anywhere else but the back and front (along with strings) of the neck. :cool:

11. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    It's an excellent string cleaner.

Spray it on a cloth, not the strings, then pinch a string with the damp cloth and run it up and down. Be sure to get underneath the string, which is where most of the dirt and funk accumulates.

It works particularly well on plain (unwound) guitar strings, which tend to corrode and dull quickly.

12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I've used it frequently for a good 15 years, never had any issues with finish interaction. I mostly use it when we play outdoor gigs, where humidity can make the strings & neck "sticky". Sometimes I will just spray it on my fingertips, not the strings. I will agree that it does deaden the zingie string sound a bit quicker, but it cleans off easily in my D.A.P.V.C.T.S.C.F. (Denatured Alcohol PVC Tube String Cleaning Facility).

13. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    Tried it, didn't like it . stopped using it after about a month of gigging with it and my strings started rusting. Had to replace my strings and never used it again. The only time my strings have ever rusted . Could have just been my body chemistry clashing with it but not for me. Have a guitar player friend who swears by it but he changes strings after every gig.:D

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have used it on and off for many many years. Wouldn't use it on rounds. Sometimes when playing outdoors, flats can get "sticky" as it gets cool outside. The Finger-Ease remedies this.

Good idea to use it as a cleaner!

15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    What about FAST FRET?:bag:
    fastfr1-d8e23e2bc116c2cd8bab7b062bc231e8.

16. Beat me to it.

YUP this works great, and also conditions the rosewood fretboard nicely.

17. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Great stuff. Love it. A can lasts about 16 years!

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    That, or a nice greasy cheeseburger. Both are effective, and leave your axe smelling wonderful.

:bassist:

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Used it in the early '70s. Lemme tell ya, my old guitar fingerboard is still shiny from that stuff. Don't like it, don't need it. None of that kind of stuff for me.

btw, a satin finish on the back of the neck will look like gloss after you play it awhile.

20. I play with some guitar players that use WD40 on their strings. I never have used or tried using WD40 on my bass strings. I have used Finger Ease on the back of the neck before. But not very often. Usually after I have cleaned my Jazz Bass when changing strings.