1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Guz2, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    When I finger pick usually rest my thumb on the top of the pickup if I'm plucking the E string or or the string above the one I'm plucking. Is this normal? Also, when I pluck the strings I bend my figertips and this makes the tone sound all weird like the bass is underwater or something...Any advice on stopping this? Thanks :)

2. Is this normal? Yeah. So is putting your thumb on a dedicated thumbrest, some players rest their thumb on the neck too. Wherever you are most comfortable playing.

As for your second question, how long have you been playing? Do you pull and snap the string? I don't quite understand what you mean by bending your fingertips.

3. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    I've been playing about 3 days xP and what I mean is when I pluck the string my fingertips are flexible (relaxed) and they bend backwards. Is this supposed to happen?

4. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    I don't think so. You want to kind of flick the strings in an upward motion. It sounds like you're pressing them towards the body. It's hard to describe, but put the fleshy part of your index finger on the string and keep that first joint straight but relaxed. Then just sort of pull your finger in. That first joint should bend a bit and your finger should kind of roll off the string and stop on the next lower string. It should feel natural and relaxed.

5. Here is a good video from YouTube on fingerstyle technique. Have a look at this, it should help you out.

6. On second inspection, it's actually not that great of an instructional video. hahaha. BUT, it will help with your second question there. Just look at the way his fingers pluck those strings.

7. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    Ok thanks guys :)