1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finger spasm mid-set fret hand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickj, Jul 17, 2017.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    This ever happen to anyone else? It was incredibly painful. But worse, I also lost control of most of my hand for at least 15 minutes. Got thru the night well enough but damn, prefer to not have it happen again.

Is this a case where I need to stretch beforehand?

2. Goatrope

Goatrope Gold Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Dehydration is usually the culprit. Also, you can eat things high in potassium to help reduce the likelihood, but hydration is the key.

M0ses, JGbassman, jmhaslip and 12 others like this.
  3. Luke_94

Luke_94

Dec 15, 2016
    That sounds bad. I suggest steering clear of internet advice and instead consulting a doctor on this one. No one can or should judge from a two sentence post. Get yourself checked out by a professional

salcott, allenhumble, PillO and 6 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Seems like the prudent course of action.

PillO likes this.
  5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Where was your pain? There are no muscles in your finger, so if pain was in your finger and it wouldn't move, I doubt it was a spasm.

I would suggest if you have pain while playing: stop playing until the pain goes away and seek consultation from a doctor. Even if you are Flea in the last song of a global tour, you don't want to damage something and not be able to play again. If I had to guess you are like me and doing this basically at a financial loss for the joy of playing. If you get hurt, you can't play.

I don't want to give advice beyond that because you haven't given enough information for a diagnosis. Also, dehydration gets blamed for way more than it is responsible for.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Keeping hydrated

jerry, patrickj and makaspar like this.
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Keeping hydrated and taking supplements like potassium or magnesium for muscle cramps is common knowledge.

Since it can take a few weeks to get a doctor's appointment, there is no downside to the DIY treatment to see if it helps.

8. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Happens to me too, occasionally. From what I've deduced, it seems to be a combination of long sets and not practicing enough (conditioning), and even more, dehydration. Drinking a lot of water and getting potassium is a good idea.

Seeing a doctor is good advice, but for me, it isn't a regular occurrence, and only happens when I'm playing, so I don't think that's necessary for me.

9. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Unless he has some kind of undiagnosed issue with potassium or magnesium. There are plenty of downsides to DIY treatment if getting an appointment with a physician takes a while. There are urgent care facilities and emergency rooms.

PillO likes this.
  10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Drink some Gatorade to help relieve cramps like athletes do. Ser your doc sooner of cramping continues.

JGbassman and patrickj like this.
  11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Plus, exactly what muscle is spasming in your finger? If it is a muscle spasm/cramp then it will hurt in your forearm or palm. Fingers are just bones, tendons, ligaments, skin, nerves, and blood vessels.

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks everyone! I'll inquire with a doctor, but dehydration may indeed have played a part.

13. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    Getting a qualified opinion is never a bad idea, and these cats recommending it to you are doing you a solid (in my opinion). On the other hand, cramps and spasms are pretty common, and dehydration is commonly the cause. However, diabetes is one of the things that docs commonly check for signs of, when patients complain of this sort of thing. I want to toss that out there, just in case you are on the fence about seeing a doc or nurse practitioner, and might be at risk.

14. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

This is one of those rare occasions that you hope that the song is in E and that the chord progression is l - lV - V and that you're playing a 5 string bass.

15. Sorry to hear..have you ever considered electric shock therapy?

16. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Or trepanning while you're at it.

PillO, TrevorOfDoom, makaspar and 2 others like this.
  17. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    Sounds like cramping. I use to work in Saudi and on a couple of occasions we we're loading in around 4pm in the summer (so around 120F and muggy) and sweating profusely. Sometime in the second set, later that evening, my right hand cramped shut and then my left. Same thing happend to one of our guitarists a few songs later. I had to stop playing and physically open my hands with the other and the help of a friend. After that I made sure that I drank plenty of water starting the night before a gig like that as well as drinking some Gatorade (instead of that load in beer). I've never hand that issue again; now I just get trigger release issues in all of my fingers and have them operated on, but that's a totally different ailment. If you want to see a doc, go see an orthopedic hand surgeon - they work with your hands and are very, very, good.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Been there done that and it suks. Drink more water.

patrickj likes this.
  19. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    All the advice on here is useless IMPO. Based on the tiny amount of information you provided you could have a finger sprain, a trigger finger, tendonitis, arthritis (multiple types), muscle spasms from over use, dehydration, gonorrhea, carpal tunnel syndrome, or neuritis among other diagnoses.

It would take more information to tell you if it sounds like eating a banana and drinking Gatorade is what you need.

20. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Also paying close attention to body mechanics. Not fretting too hard and not bending too much at the wrist. Def sounds band and its worth going to a doctor. Although my faith in the medical system is slim and I believe this will be fixed by paying attention to mechanics and heath.
    Slowly build yourself up until you can do hours without discomfort. Don't push it.