1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finger Technique with Symmetrical Scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Darren 1, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Darren 1

Darren 1 Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    UK
    Hi Everyone,
    I thought I would share a short video I made for a bass student on improving finger movement.
    Thanks Darren.

2. I'm just getting into working with half/whole diminished scales and arpeggios, so this is pretty interesting to me. Turning it into music is gonna be the trick. Some lessons on that might be helpful also. I will say that as I transcribe more stuff, I hear fragments of it everywhere.

3. Darren 1

Darren 1 Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    UK
    Hi!
    They certainly open up a whole new melodic and harmonic world. I’m sure I have videos on YouTube over II V I that use the dim scales. I will certainly post some new though.
    Thanks

4. Cool. I subscribed to your channel so I'll check out what's there.

Darren 1 likes this.
  5. Darren 1

Darren 1 Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    UK
    Thank you

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    "modernist" [sic] composers from the first half of the 20th Century are probably the most fruitful gateway to understanding how to use symmetrical diminished scales (aka First- and Second-Order Octatonic Scales, and/or Modes Of Limited Transposition) in musical ways. Listen to selected works of Bela Bartok, Igor Stravinsky, or Olivier Messiaen for some exquisitly musical writing that explores the nuances of symmetrical scales with brilliant sensitivity and stunning depth.

Nashrakh, Spin Doctor and Darren 1 like this.
  7. Darren 1

Darren 1 Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    UK
    Absolutely study these guys! The contemporary music movement had a massive affect on modern music, from Europe to the USA. Some pin point its beginnings in Debussy others back to Beethoven. However, there is no denying that the extraordinary use, and stretching of boundaries of the musical language in the first part of the 20th cent and beyond through second viennese movement, delivered us the most colourful and beautiful diverse music.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021