Fingerboard replacement on 7/8 German

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by justintonation, Jul 1, 2005.

1. justintonation

Apr 29, 2005
    San Diego
    i own an unknown 7/8 german upright bass. the fingerboard is really thin and needs to be replaced because i'm getting a new bridge and set up. unfortunately i've been having difficulties finding a piece of ebony to get the job done. could anybody recommend a place to call that could help me get a fingerboard as soon as possible? the dimensions of the fingerboard (as of right now) are:

length - 35 1/8"
    width at nut - 1 5/8"
    width at end - 3 3/8"

the trick is, i'm looking for someone who has the board in stock. any help would be useful!
  2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Have you tried International violin Co.?
    That is where I got the FB for the bass I am building-- it seems to be very good quality, and they have always been very fast to deliver. As I recall, I paid $162 for the board-- I think that was their highest priced board, and that did not include nut or saddle.

I just looked at their website-- their highest priced 4/4 board is $212-- I got the 3/4 size.

If you call them (1-800-542-3538) and ask for Ken, he will give you the particulars on the measurements.
  3. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Remember, it will come too wide, too thick, too long and will need to be properly planed for the correct relief.
    Also, I'd ask a bass repair guy if it needs to be replaced. It might still be ok.