1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingering on m.13 Bach D Minor Menuet Cello Suite

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by anightintunisia, Apr 2, 2017.

1. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Measure 13, Bach D minor Cello Suite Menuet I. How do you sustain the Bb while playing the G and F? Does your thumb play the double stop? I tried but couldn't get it to hold down both notes perfectly.

2. CSBBass

CSBBass

Sep 21, 2013
    I haven't played it, so this might not be all that practical in context, but from a glance at the measure in question I think I'd play it using the thumb on the Bb, and 3 on the G, then thumb on the Bb and 1 on the F. It's a somewhat awkward placement of the fingers (the first finger being adjacent to the tip of the thumb, but a string below), and would require that you play the Bb more the towards nail than the knuckle of the thumb (otherwise the tip of your thumb will be in the way of your first finger), but it should at least work. Then it'd be pretty straightforward to move the thumb back for the E and 3 on the C for the third beat, though it will probably take some work to get it all in tune.

3. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I just tried that, seems like the best option since I can kind of flub my way thorough that measure up to speed. Pitch is a bit wonky but I can work that out. Thanks for the suggestion.