Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingers hitting pups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by john keates, Jul 17, 2004.

1. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I was advised by an expert to bring my pups closer to the strings (particularly at the bridge). This has balenced the volume of the pups and they sound louder and warmer now. However, I find that sometimes my fingers contact the bridge pup. It is particulary annoying when my fingers are hitting the edge of the pup as they end up being pushed to the side.

There is no noise when my fingers hit the pup (Villex) but it is a little annoying. Is this something that I should expect to just get used to or should I lower the pup?

One reason that I ask is that I am thinking that my fingers may be digging in too much anyway and maybe I should solve the problem by changing the way I play rather than the bass setup.

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The height of your pups affect the tone of your bass. The higher they are, the warmer/growlier they get. The lower they are, the clearer/defined they get.
    I guess there's really not much you can do about your fingers hitting the pups, unless you raise the height of your saddles = higher action.
    If you're happy with the tone you're getting, you might wanna play with a lighter touch :)

3. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Cheers Rusty. Just now I tried lowering the pickup at under the g string where the problem uccured most and just a slight adjustment made enough differnce. I still hit the pup but not so badly.

Thanks for the tone onfo there.

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    You're most welcome :D I'm glad I was of some help :D