Fingerstyle problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I just start playing about a year ago, and I always have a hard time deciding if I should use a pick??(yeah, I was a guitar player for 7 years) Or I should stick with finger plucking??? The problem isn't just that simple, because my technique of using pick is just insanely good, I am a lot faster than all those punk bassist with a pick. But I play a lot slower when I use my finger......

Any suggestion? I know this is more of my own business, maybe I should just make up my mind.
  2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I would suggest becoming equally as good with fingers and a pick. Later on in your playing you then have the option to think that a certain song would sound better played with fingers or whatever. It just allows for greater diversity.

Andy ;)
  3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    In your case, I would think that your answer is obvious. If you are gigging, and playing punk music, use the pick. I wish I was good with it, but I am about equal with either a pick or fingers, unfortunately though, not that good. I have only been playing for under two years with no experience prior. I go back anf forth between pick and fingers about once a month, just when I start to get 'better' at one or the other. But like all will tell you here, work with both if you have time. They both have their place. Pick is great for 1/16th note punk, which is the music I am liking right now. It's clean, and the attack of a pick is good. Plus, you can keep up your picking technique to go back to guitar.
  4. I'd say it depends on the style of music you play. If you like punk and you are fast and furious with a pick, the choice doesn't seem to be too difficult. :D

I'm wondering why this seems to be a problem for you. Was there some bass fundamentalist/extremist who told you that all good bass players play with their fingers and that picks are for amateurs?
  5. Truth........
  6. Thanx for replys ..............I think I will alternate fingers and pick.
  7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, yea. There are many on here that think that way. My instructor feels that way too. I try to be more open.