1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fininshing a Ash body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cameronkeel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Nov 15, 2006
    All,

I know this has been posted, several times, but I would like to get some advice. I want to dye my guitar blank blue using TransTint dye. I also will shoot nitro clear for final coats.

Now the question, in what order do I apply sanding sealer, grain filler and dye?

One thing I have read about, but have not been able to do successfuly is dye the grain black so that it pops a little more once the blue dye is added.

All help is appreciated as I am at the finishing stage on this build.

Thanks.
    CK

2. Chris_H

Chris_H

Sep 8, 2013
    What do you plan on using for grain filler?

3. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Nov 15, 2006
    Behlen water base grain filler

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'd do sealer, filler, dye. I'd tint the filler black first...

5. Chris_H

Chris_H

Sep 8, 2013
    How is the Behlen filler as far as shrinkage over the few weeks to months after application?

6. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Nov 15, 2006
    not sure yet about the Behlen filler. First time using.

7. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I always thought that you were to dye bare wood. That's what I did with the ash body on the last bass that I did. Worked great. I dyed, sealed, grain filler, sealed that, then did the clear coats. Worked well and it looks great.

8. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Nov 15, 2006
    Devo, looked at your red dyed bass. That is exactly the look I am after, only blue. Tonight I put 2 coats of dye. Letting it dry overnight. Just clarifying, next seal and then grain filler with black tint. Seal again and then shoot nitro.

Right?

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    After going back and forth with the question of order in dying, sealing, filling, etc., I asked the advice of some furniture guys at one of the local Woodcraft stores. He advised me to just use diluted dye on bare wood, then apply the rest of the finish. So I did, and it worked out beautifully.

dyed_zps6dd5b9df.

I used denatured alcohol to dilute the dye, and then rubbed it on the basswood body until I got the color I was after. Then I "distressed" the blue (per customer request). Then, as basswood is a closed grained wood, I sprayed the satin clear coat directly on.

DSC_0038_zpsc3864eee.

To adapt it to ash, I would definitely use a sealer and filler after the dye, before the clear coat.

10. Very pretty, that.

The Behlen filler is a pretty thin moist product, so, along with the filler itself having to dry, it will put moisture into the surface of your body wood. Make sure to give it plenty of dry time.

11. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    yep. that's it. Good luck to ya.