Finish checking or the start of something worse?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SPBeretvas, Apr 23, 2020.

1. SPBeretvas

SPBeretvas

Dec 29, 2019
    Hi all, just hoping to get some advice, if any of you have seen anything like this. Pictured, is my pride and joy, my Carvin LB20 in "blueburst" not sure if that's the actual finish name but it's what I call it. Anyway, you can see the line forming where the fretboard meets the neck. so far it's only by the first fret. And it's probably my imagination but I think it might be spreading. It seems superficial, though you can feel it when you run your finger over it. The finish is definitely cracking which to me is not the end of the world, but if it's indicative of the fretboard separating or something worse, I want to know before it's too late. I got the bass for 350 bucks from our local used gear store (a total steal) but it's priceless to me! One of the best basses I've layed my humble hands on... Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My guess looking at the pics is finish checking. Might want to have it looked at by a tech, but I think it's just checking.

SPBeretvas likes this.
  3. SPBeretvas

SPBeretvas

Dec 29, 2019
    I'm thinking so. (And hoping so). I will have it looked at once quarantine is lifted. Can never be too careful with our babies. Until then I rely on you good folks here at Talkbass. :laugh::thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021