1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finishing tips

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jozbass, Apr 21, 2006.

1. jozbass

jozbass

Apr 21, 2006
    hello everyone, this is my 1st kit build and i need some advice in the finishing deptment. I have a t-bird body in black korina that i would like to stain? I want to have the wood grains visable but with some colour. What colour's of stain would take to this wood? Would i need to highlight the wood grain with a filler? Do i need a special stain? I also want a flat finish, how would i go about doing that? Any help would be a huge help. thanks:bassist:

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    highlighting wood grain would leave to a similar cerruse finish effect.

i use only earthy powder stains dissolved in kerosene which is then finished by nitrocellulose/polyurethane sealers and lacquers. others use oil stains, water stains and so on.

if you want to keep a visible wood grain, dont use acrylic/plastic finishes. those are the cheap looking stuff that Fender use.

i also believe that applying the stain by hand (rather than sprayed) keeps the wood grain more visible and a less generic stain look.