1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fire the drummer or give a chance.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by woody357, Mar 13, 2019.

1. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    Time to call the drummer(s) you've been lining up to replace him. You have been working on that right? If not why?

2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    [​IMG]

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Kudos to you and your comrades. Sometimes, technical prowess isn't the essential ingredient to a band's success.

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I don’t like ultamatums we are all grown. I have given up my free time to work with him, sometimes with good results some with no results.

5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I really think you are right about he may it. I’ve done just about if not everything that has been suggested on this thread. I’ve gotten home from work at 8am stayed awake just to work with him when he could come over. Sometimes he came with a knowledge of his parts other time he didn’t know the song. I’ve talked to him one on one, suggested working with a metronome or click track. He is always talking about he wants to get better, but like I told him there isn’t any magic to it he has to put in the work to get better. I have to admit this not something I look forward to doing. My cuz asked me what happened to sergeant Woody from my army days, and I say I’m older and easier than those days.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sure. But technical adequacy IS.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Well, you have a choice to make ... which bothers you more? Having to disappoint a friend or having to play with a sub-par drummer forever? Every band dynamic is different. Sometimes it's about the hang, and being able to play with others, even in the basement or garage. That goal is easily met. In others it's about "making it", whatever that might mean, and it's all about putting together the best players you can find. This one is not so easy, and not always pleasant. Most bands that are together for a length of time experience personnel changes, and it's not always (not usually?) amicable.

8. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    You are correct and I hope he will understand that he will be always be a friend to me even if we never play another note together.

9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    If you have gigs on the books and you don't have a replacement lined up, wait. Don't wait long though. I'd rather not be gigging, than gigging with a crappy drummer.

descendent22 likes this.
  10. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I do have one gig on the books in April, I may offer it to him to keep it easy

11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Fire him dude. Once you have a drummer In there that has no issues you’re gunna be so relieved

woody357 likes this.