1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Firefox 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Firefox keeps recommending that I upgrade to FF3. IIRC, I seem to remember some dissent on these very boards concerning this upgrade. This was a few months ago.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445031&highlight=Firefox

Are the "kinks" worked out yet?

Should I take the plunge?

Anybody having any issues with FF3?

Thanks, I'll check back after I get back from the "food library".

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    everything works for me

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've had it since day 1 and I haven't 't notice any kinks.

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Go ahead and load it. Some of the new features that as supposed to help I think get in the way. Good thing is that there are addons to fix that. Otherwise it is pretty stable and works fine.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Thanks guys. I think I was just a little tentative after reading that thread when it was first posted. Just looking for a little confidence.

Now it's scratch made waffles and bacon time.

6. it's been doing good for me too..from time to time it may act up,but the other Firefox did the same too. when I had AVG spyware thing, it kept "crashing" the Firefox, then when I took it off, nothing happened hardly anymore on crashing.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There has been an update - the most current version is 3.0.1, I believe. I haven't had any problems. Download with confidence!

8. Mine seems to work fine with my AVG running. :confused:

I've maybe had 5 crashes tops from Firefox since switching from IE about 6 months ago.

9. The only *kinks* for me were some ad-ons that were not yet supported... Since its release, the ad-ons (that I use, at least), have been upgraded to work on 3.

Now, it's perfect. ;)

10. IDK why it kept doing it, it would say something like "Firefox encountered a problem and needs to close" or some crap like that, and it would all shut down. Or "not found" junk Thank god for the restore thing!! But somewhere it was telling me that Firefox was not compatible with the AVG-which sucks b/c I kinda liked that system
    I was hoping to pull the whole article up but it is down for some reason...
    but here is a quote from the search engine page
    ...FIREFOX 3 ... The Link Scanner and AVG Toolbar has been known to crash Web Browsers....
    alright another link:
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+AVG+Internet+Security

but if it works for you, that is great!:)

11. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    It's not really a plunge. It works fine and isn't much different to the last one visually.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm on the 3.0.1 or whatever the update was. Shortly after the release, all of the add ons that I use regularly were updated to work. So-it's been fine.

13. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    i used to use it and it worked great for a long time. But now i just use Songbird. FF3 kept closing 30 seconds after it started running, but i messed with it. Songbird does the job just fine and maybe a little better! Besides, i think the browser part of Songbird was modeled off firefox.

14. I've had it since day 1 and I have had no problems with it so far.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Had it day one, no probs. Updated it, no probs.

16. Anyone using FF3 and the Google toolbar?

I get the same "upgrade now?" message, but when I started the install is said the Google tool bar was not supported. I'm not sure if it meant the Google tool bar or just the version of the Google tool bar I am using.

Is "NoScript" supported as well?

Thanks.

17. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Noscript is supported. I don't know why you'd want the Google toolbar, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a version for FF3.

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    FF3 seems more stable than 2.5, IMO.

19. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I've been having the AVG crashing problem as well, and I got so fed up with it that I just switched to Opera.

20. Did your crashes happen with both version two and three, or only version three?

I have a full version of AVG with FF 2.whatever and haven't had any problems.