1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fireglo or Walnut Ric 4003, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ox Boris, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Walnut

41.7%
  2. Fireglo

41.7%
  3. I'm too stupid to understand that there are only 2 options.

16.6%
  1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I have a choice, yet cannot choose.

Fireglo: Rare. Instantly recognisable as a Ric. For me, Fireglo is the Ric colour. Looks beautiful.
    "Yeah! A Ric, now we're talkin'!"

bass-guitars-rickenbacker-4003-fireglo-1_1024x1024.

Walnut: Rarer. Just looks bloody beautiful, on it's own merits, before you clock that it's a Ric. "...and it's a Ric! Wow!"

bass-guitars-rickenbacker-4003-walnut-1_1024x1024.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    flashgod, Tbone76 and InhumanResource like this.
  2. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I really like both. I wonder if a darker fretboard on the Walnut would look good. I like the way the dark neck makes the markers pop. Incidentally, the fretmarkers are the reason I'm not interested in an S.

byoung93888, M.R. Ogle and btmpancake like this.
  3. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Wow. Before seeing the walnut I would just gave said FireGlo.
    That walnut is beautiful though.
    Then you went and pointed out the fret marker to fretboard colour detail. Now I'm back to FireGlo.

So, FireGlo.

Ox Boris likes this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Walnut. There's nothing like a maple fretboard. And walnut is so good, it's almost delicious enough to eat.

Mertle72 and RedVee like this.
  5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    The Walnut is such a wonderful looking bass, however, I really dislike maple 'boards. I do think it would look superb with a rosewood 'board.

Fireglo... If it were a choice between Mapleglo, Jetglo or Midnight Blue, then I'd be siding with them, Fireglo however, is my least favourite Ric colour option.

IMO, Rickenbacker should start using more "interesting" cuts of maple for the Maplglo's & Fireglo's. Not as high grade / figured as those used on the 4004's, but certainly more interesting pieces than the bland ones they seem to use. No doubt, all the more interesting maples get covered up with the solid colours.

Charlzm and byoung93888 like this.
  6. Tari

Tari

Feb 2, 2016
    Hamburg, Germany
    "Fireglo: Rare. Instantly recognisable as a Ric. For me, Fireglo is the Ric colour. Looks beautiful."

This. Fireglo is THE classic.

Tbone76 and gebass6 like this.
  7. Mertle72

Mertle72 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Both!!!!! If you must choose I'd say walnut, only because I already have a FG!

spaz21387 likes this.
  8. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Guest

Feb 12, 2016
    IMG_0029.JPG My personal preference. Also the fret markers on the S in black show up well against the maple. Why is it my preference? It just is. There are no right answers. Only what is right for you.

woodyng2, pudge, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I prefer the unbound body on walnut.

10. JELLIS78

JELLIS78

Mar 24, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    I voted Walnut, but only because I have one and love the feel of the satin neck.... that being said I am currently tempted by adding a fireglo to the collection too!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  11. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    walnut, cause glossy necks are like glue to my hand

12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Fireglo, because that makes it look like an archetypal Ric 4001. The Walnut/maple combination looks like they succumbed to peer pressure from the boutique hippie-sandwich crowd.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Buy the one you like to play the best. Deciding with your eyes is the worst way to make a decision.

14. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I wouldn't go on looks. You've nailed it down to the 2. Go with the one that plays and sounds best for you. I demoed a bunch of Rics and discovered that they are not all equal. For me, I couldn't put the walnut down when I demoed it. Easy action and sounded incredible. Try before you buy.

15. Hmm. Difficult to choose, but I'd say walnut. I especially like the 4003SW -- there's something very cool about the walnut without binding.

16. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Black!....because I'm too stupid to understand that there are only 2 options.:)

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    4003-walnut-1_1024x1024. I'm a big fan of walnut. But the maple neck looks cheap, to me.

If the walnut one had a dark-wood fretboard/neck....YES!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    alrubin, Tbone76, Novarocker and 11 others like this.
  18. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Of course, if you shop around, there are more that two options. Current standard colors are Fireglo, Jetglo (black), Mapleglo (clear), Midnight Blue (dark metallic blue), and Walnut. RIC recently discontinued Ruby (deep metallic red), and every once in a while comes out with a spurt of "Snowglo" - White - but they are hard to find. In the used market, there are a lot more colors from the past.

jamro217 and byoung93888 like this.
  19. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Walnut. The satin neck finish is to die for.

20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love my Fireglo 4003, but am absolutely hoping Ric does a 4003s run in Snowglo!