1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First actual Yes album...decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm starting to lean myself into Progressive Rock more, and figure I need to get an actual Yes album. My Dad has the "best-of" album, Highlights, but I want an album where the songs are grouped and ordered the way Yes originally intended. I've narrowed my choices of a first album down to Fragile and Close to the Edge. I'd prefer something that is a good showcase of Chris Squire's bass style.

Any recommendations?

2. LSquared

LSquared

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Illinois USA
    All good choices. Fragile is less cohesive. I'd vote Close To The Edge.

3. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    The yes album, great bass tracks such as Perpetual Change, and Yours is no Disgrace.
    Fragile contains bass tracks such as Roundabout, the Fish,and Heart of the Sunrise.
    Close to the Edge is a great album, but not many great bass moments.

4. rockosocko

rockosocko Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    In addition to those two albums, check out The Yes Album. Tormato and Drama are also really good showcases of Squire's style.

5. Oh man. Hard choice....
    Those are my two favorite Yes albums.
    I would probably get Fragile if I were you. I think Chris's basslines are more out there, and I think they're a bit more...playable than Close to the Edge.

At least, that's just my opinion.
    Roundabout is so much words-I-can't-use-on-this-forum fun to play.

6. Yep, go with those two to start. And I admire your intuition regarding the genre. Prog rock and "concept album" bands often sequenced the songs very strategically, even if there was not a central theme. They intended their works to be listened to in this way. And soooo much quality music on recordings back then. The phrase "deep cuts" was coined in the 70s and gave radio programmers and DJ's a lot of latitude to play any and all tracks from a recording.

Man, those were the days.

Anyway, pick up those two, and enjoy.

7. Yeah, just get them both. You won't regret it.

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I usually prefer a chronological approach to see the development of the band.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"The Yes Album", "Close To The Edge" and "Fragile" are the definitive Yes albums for me. Add "Yessongs" for one of the rawest-sounding official live albums ever made.

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    ^THIS^

Once you get through those pick up Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer and Drama.

11. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    I'd vote for 'The Yes Album' first. Whenever I want to listen to some Yes, thats my go-to album!

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Be warned if you get the very early album that the production and some vocals are not "so great". I'd also vote for the chronological approach since it does let you see development.

Also check Youtube(narrow search) and google video search(many sites) for "Chris Squire isolated bass" etc. Those tools did not exist when I studied his stuff.

13. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    All the early stuff is worth a listen. Get them all lol:cool:

14. Yes, get both.

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Why only ONE album as the choice? On amazon, you can get them used for like, 5 bucks each....

If I had to limit myself and get one, it would be "Fragile"

If I got two, it would be "Fragile" and "close to the edge"

If I got three it would be "fragile", "Close to the edge" and "relayer"..

If I got 4, it would add "The yes album".

Those 4 are probably the best YES ever did...so why not just get all 4?

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I would get the best of to get an overall picture

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My faves are their first two: "Yes" and "Time And A Word".

What's the first sound heard on the first song on their first album? Chris's bass, of course.

18. Relayer is awesome.

19. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Indeed - what a killer way to start an album.

I'd go:

FRAGILE
    THE YES ALBUM
    CLOSE TO THE EDGE
    YES

20. No offense, but he already has that one.

One problem I have with "best of" compilations from a lot of bands from this genre and era is, the songs being randomly culled from various albums and presented in a random order just kills the whole vibe they were trying to present with the original releases in their totality.

OP's got the right idea, and this band is worth the effort.