First BEAD experience (Sterling by Musicman Ray4)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaymaster, Nov 19, 2021.

1. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Had to share. This is my Sterling by Musicman S.U.B. that I've had since 2014 and it's been modified very heavily (haha).
    It's my only remaining 4 string out of 3 basses and it was just sitting because I don't like to play without a low B. Then I got the wild idea of stringing it up with the strings pictured in B standard. It was way easier than expected but involved sanding the nut. So If that's not something you're comfortable with, bring it to somebody. Also this gauge of strings fits through the bridge (barely) without any modification and easily fits into the tuning machines.
    Also I pictured the 38mm nut. This is extremely narrow and I had a little concern about using a 130 gauge string with it, but it's completely fine.

I should note I had to get a new nut on this bass anyways a couple years ago because the stock one is super cheap. So what I was sanding is a real bone nut and man did it take awhile. It's probably still not exactly where I want it to be, but if I take away too much material, it's hard to go backward.

(in case anybody is curious - full EMG electronics)

20211119_103910.jpg 20211119_103927.jpg 20211119_104007.jpg

Raman, Supadope, Riff Ranger and 3 others like this.
  2. Very cool! How does it play and sound?

Also, that is a beautiful bass. I love the satin finishes and that's a gorgeous color. I dig the pickguard and white pickup, too! Really pops. I've been very tempted to do the same thing, as I really like having a low B.

klaymaster likes this.
  3. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Plays amazing. I knew that I would be happy with this as a cheap bass because it played amazing right off the sheld. The sound I struggled with for awhile. That's where I landed on the EMG stuff. I have a coil-splittable pickup and 3 band EQ with sweepable mids. (2 stacked knobs) I feel like I can achieve a lot.
    Also these covered MM style pickups eliminate the only thing I don't like about the stingray sound and it's that super harsh metallic clank. I can still get the stingray sound, but it's tamed a little.

OH and the pick guard and pickup were both black prior to being swapped to white.

Raman, Supadope and musicman556 like this.
  4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Actually i decide sell my TRBX504 and buy the SUB Ray4 again for BEAD tune.

klaymaster likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been own both Ray4 and 5 in past, overall build quality and fret work are step up compare to current Indonesia made Squier CV bass.

6. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    What's the model of the EMG controls? I just got a Harley Benton MM copy that plays well, but needs some sonic improvement.

60006F9B-51A6-401B-AADB-8E29D4996CB6.jpeg

7. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Those dont have a battery box right?
    That could be an issue.
    I have the MMTW pickup with the BTC for bass and treble and VMC for mids.
    Also the EMG BQC is basically the same thing but won't fit in the control cavity.

Supadope likes this.
  8. never-enough

never-enough Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Lost Angeles
    I love BEAD tuning.
    I spent years missing that low B string but never felt comfortable on a fiver.
    Converted my jazz bass a couple of years ago and now I’m window shopping for another bass that I will convert as well.
    I’ll still keep 2 basses tuned to standard but BEAD has been nothing short of a revelation for me.

klaymaster and Supadope like this.
  9. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    Right. No battery compartment.
    I have a router. Need to figure out how to use it!

Thanks for the details!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022